So bummed...how long to wait??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alicat4, Apr 15, 2009.

1. alicat4

alicat4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Arkie
    OK, so I really, really suck at this. After two batches with a total start of 6 dozen eggs, I have 8 chicks. My question is this: It is the beginning of day 23 and on day 18 I had 45 viable eggs. On day 20, two chicks hatched and one other pipped. Day 21, two more hatched and the pipped one still hadn't broken out. Today I pulled the now dry and hungry chicks out and while I was at it, helped out the still-alive poor baby that had been pipped for almost 3 days. Don't know if he'll make it, but I couldn't let it go on like that for any longer. What now? How long do I wait before I toss them? Should I candle? I am SO SAD. GLOOM. [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Well humidity wise you may want to leave them for another day but as it is day 23 and some already hatched on time you could , candle them and also hold them up to youre ear to see if you hear anything , after you listen and look I would still put them back in the bator till day 24 or 25 if I were you , on day 25 you could then open them from the top / air cell and see if there are any alive . Good luck and IM sorry . I have 6 eggs that made it to day 14 4 showed movement on day 18 and its already day 23.5 and nothing , I will listen and look tammrow morning and go from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by