So Cal Fire evacuation… how to evacuate with chickens?

Well it looks like there has been a change in events and we need to be prepared to leave at any given time. I have my chickens feed and all of their items ready to go in case. Thank you all for your advice, I really really appreciate it. Not sure how good I’ll sleep tonight given that we may have to leave. 😬 The fire is trying to force itself over the ridge and if it does that, there’s nothing to stop it from burning up the mountain and all the communities that reside here. Roads are closing, no one can come up, and power is out.

Well it looks like there has been a change in events and we need to be prepared to leave at any given time. I have my chickens feed and all of their items ready to go in case. Thank you all for your advice, I really really appreciate it. Not sure how good I’ll sleep tonight given that we may have to leave. 😬 The fire is trying to force itself over the ridge and if it does that, there’s nothing to stop it from burning up the mountain and all the communities that reside here. Roads are closing, no one can come up, and power is out.
Good luck, friend. Sending every positive vibe and good thought your way!

Just be safe.

Let us know what happens, when you can.
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Last edited:
Here's the plume from the Mosquito Fire in Foresthill, CA. The first are from the highway on my way home from work. The 2nd is from the highway near the end of myroad. The last is from my front yard through our trees.
20220908_152148.jpg

20220908_152620.jpg

20220908_190121.jpg

Good luck, friend. Sending every positive vibe and good thought your way!

Just be safe.

Let us know what happens, when you can.
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Thank you! The fire even spread to Temecula, where my grandparents live and they had to evacuate as well. It's now close to 25,000 acres and attempting to spread into other neighboring cities.

Gosh fire season is so so terrible. This west coast heat wave and dry summer really doesn't help! Hopefully you guys stay safe as well!
Oh, I'll be fine. That's several miles from here, and the wind is blowing away from us. But Foresthill, Georgetown, Volcanoville, some other small communities, not so lucky. It's up to 14000 acres, not quite up to Fairview numbers yet. I've been following both fires on CalFire.

I had to evacuate last summer from the mountains in Northern California with my flock of hens and a rooster. My partner at the time had built a false bottom to our trailer, that could be pulled up into a "pop-out" once unloaded. It was like a chicken camper! That was posh. Regular cardboard boxes with ventilation work well, just keep in mind that chickens get overheated easily.
The advice above is solid! I've since used cat/dog carriers and regular cardboard boxes, I think the main thing is make sure they're ready to go. I like to give my chickens a wet mash/hydrating food before transportation. Actually, I take my "pet" chicken, "Sunspot", and her banties camping all the time....🙄🥰 Chicken transport is becoming an art!
On that note... Use a high value treat, like low-fat cottage cheese, and train your chooks to come when you call/clap/whistle whatever! It makes collection MUCH easier when they all come running!! Good luck!!!

I hope they get everything under control!!! I've never had to evacuate chickens but if I did, I would make sure I had a chicken first aid kit ready to go in the car with anything they might need if you're away from home for a long time. If they were to get sick where they're living temporarily you would need things like nutri drench or vitamin supplements and electrolytes (which could help with the stress of moving anyway). Being crated for awhile could be really emotionally taxing so things like vetericin, antibiotic ointment, blue kote or peck wound cover up would help treat little scuffle injuries. Several nipple waterers filled up and ready to go might be helpful too, if you have any extra nipples laying around I made them out of a regular old water bottle from the dollar store and installed one poultry nipple in each. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom