So Cal Fire evacuation… how to evacuate with chickens?

We also evacuated when our evacuation zone got an Evacuation Warning, so it wasn't mandatory yet. They suggest moving out during the warning phase if you have animals. Our zone was never under mandatory evacuation.

Good suggestion about the net to catch them. I need to get one.

Another thing is that when we have fires here, folks in safer areas will go on social media and offer up pasture/stable space and offer to move animals. And we have the volunteer organization. But if the fire is moving too fast, you just gotta grab them and run. We modified a trailer to be able to fit our animals, but I would probably just load everyone into the SUV if we have to move really fast. Or let them loose, but that is too horrible for me to think about.
Ours wasn’t either. Actually we never really needed to move them but at the time the fire was the worst we’ve seen so we thought it better to be prepared than to be caught off guard and have to set them lose.

Yeah we had people offering pasture space too, but they were inundated with animals to care for because there were that many people that needed to move their pets.

Jeez. I can’t believe it’s nearly 3 years since the bushfires here.

Well it looks like there has been a change in events and we need to be prepared to leave at any given time. I have my chickens feed and all of their items ready to go in case. Thank you all for your advice, I really really appreciate it. Not sure how good I’ll sleep tonight given that we may have to leave. 😬 The fire is trying to force itself over the ridge and if it does that, there’s nothing to stop it from burning up the mountain and all the communities that reside here. Roads are closing, no one can come up, and power is out.
Oh god. So scary.
Good luck and stay safe

About nets; sporting goods stores have big long handled nets in the fishing department, it's what we have, and it works well for emergency captures. we also have a smaller shorter handled net for in the coop, if needed.
And definitely get out before the mandatory evac orders! With animals especially, you need time and clear roads. Run early, not late!
Stay safe out there!
Mary

Last edited:
I hope they get everything under control!!! I've never had to evacuate chickens but if I did, I would make sure I had a chicken first aid kit ready to go in the car with anything they might need if you're away from home for a long time. If they were to get sick where they're living temporarily you would need things like nutri drench or vitamin supplements and electrolytes (which could help with the stress of moving anyway). Being crated for awhile could be really emotionally taxing so things like vetericin, antibiotic ointment, blue kote or peck wound cover up would help treat little scuffle injuries. Several nipple waterers filled up and ready to go might be helpful too, if you have any extra nipples laying around I made them out of a regular old water bottle from the dollar store and installed one poultry nipple in each. Good luck!!!
Good advice!

Last summer, I found that we were waaaaay over-packed. When evacuated, you just move from the fire area into another non-fire area. Part of our town was on fire, but we just drove down into the valley and was able to get anything we needed. So while it's nice to have clothes and stuff packed, most folks around here just take the stuff that can't be replaced. So when we got home, we reorganized what we would take. We ended up with fewer people-things (like clothes) and more animal-things (like meds, etc). We leave the stuff we don't use daily in the SUV, like extra food and water, first aid items, our 1 set of clothes, important papers. Don't even have to think about them that way.

Most of my friends, neighbors, and colleagues take family heirlooms. I don't. But I'm not super sentimental. To me, that's more things to worry about.

Oh yes! The fire actually slowed down last night and only expanded 1,000 acres instead of doubling like the nights before. They also got control of it on the ridge so the mountain communities are safe as of right now. A huge rainstorm is now here and should last until Monday so we’re hoping this will really help slow it down even more.

Oh yes! The fire actually slowed down last night and only expanded 1,000 acres instead of doubling like the nights before. They also got control of it on the ridge so the mountain communities are safe as of right now. A huge rainstorm is now here and should last until Monday so we’re hoping this will really help slow it down even more.
I hope it holds! CalFire are heroes out here for a reason. I have a friend who is a retired fire captain for our county. He often gets called to work fires up here. He sends pics and video sometimes. Pretty harrowing stuff, and these folks just walk right into it.

Back
Top Bottom