So cal newbie- and gender help!

socalchick3

Hatching
Sep 20, 2016

Hi! I'm a new chicken owner in Southern California! I have three 2 month olds! A golden laced wyandotte, columbian wyandotte, and a black jersey giant. The BJG seems to bully and dominate and is a bit bigger than the other 2. They are 2 months old and while its still early, i have a feeling he's male. Ive attached some pictures. What are your guesses thus far?

First of all, your Jersey Giant looks like a pullet. Second, it only looks to be about 6 weeks old, not 8. And that crate is too small for three, that age. They are ready for an outdoor coop. This could be the reason for the bullying. Too cramped. They need more space.

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Ditto on what redsox said, I am terrible at breed and gender as well, I also agree with junbugena, they may just be a bit cramped and need room to get away from each other.

Thank you for the replies! I just got them last night so im definitely getting them a bigger space! Thank you! When do they start getting other things besides chicken mash?

As long as you give them some grit, anything an adult can eat, a chick can eat. Just be careful not to over do it with treats. They are growing babies that need all the nutrients in feed. You don't want them filling up on desserts.

Back
Top Bottom