So confused with EE genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peckygirl, Aug 1, 2013.

1. peckygirl

peckygirl Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    Cape Cod
    hi y'all! My students want to hatch some eggs and I've never incubated my own. I've incubated before and that's how I got my flock. I have an EE roo. For hens I have a half faverolle half red star, a whole red star, an EE and then an OE. Will I always get EE because of my roo? Or do I need to only incubate my EEs. (I love my part faverolle. She's the sweetest) thanks!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Since all your hens are mixed anyways, the chicks will all be mixed. You stand a better chance of getting colored egg offspring from your ee hens, but you could end up with colored egg offspring from any of these crosses. It's a roll of the genetic dice.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Just to clarify, a "pure" or "whole" Red Star is a misnomer, since a Red Star is itself a mix, as is an EE and an olive egger. You've so much diversity and a real potpourri of genetics you're working with there.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. peckygirl

May 11, 2013
    Cape Cod
    Im so new to this haha. I had no idea that a red star was a mix. Thanks!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Red star is a sex linked bird, will not breed true, but will join your other birds in a lovely gene pool slurry! Unless you're stuck on having chickens that you can point to and say that "This one is a (fill in the blank)." You might get some pleasant surprises with a barnyard mix.

6. peckygirl

May 11, 2013
    Cape Cod
    Since these chicks will have to be given away I wanted to be able to say what they are. I'll just call them my fuzzy mutts :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by