So Confused!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenprincess92, Jul 16, 2010.

1. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chirping

Jul 12, 2010
    I am not sure of what kind of things mean a hen will lay an egg. [​IMG] One of my 17 week old hens legs seem farther apart every day! [​IMG] Her comb and waddle are gettin redder. One of my 15 week old hens is making a low gravly sound, she is also acting wierd and is bigger in the bottem. Are any of these things signs that they will lay? [​IMG]

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Maybe, my chickens started at 17 weeks! [​IMG] Hope they start soon for you! What kind of chickens? [​IMG] [​IMG] too!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chirping

Jul 12, 2010
    buff orpinggton is the 15 week old and the golden laced wyendott is the 17 week old

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Sounds like they are getting close. Good observations!!

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    First eggs can come between 16 weeks (SUPER yearly and should be watched for propalspe in the future) and 26 weeks (but may be even longer). Everyone hates the wait, but it is inevitable.

You sound like she is getting close though. Getting redder in the face is a good one. And getting her "big girl" voice is another. Watch for squatting when you walk near her too. They sometimes do that. We call that the "chicken dance". Make sure you have the nesting boxes ready at this time. You can try putting her in there a couple times a day so she gets where it is. But in a fake egg or two also. She may just jump out right away. But that's okay. She'll get the hint.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know when she has that first egg. You'll feel like a "proud mama" yourself when she has it. [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  6. blake101

blake101 Songster

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Quote:I am glad you said something aout the squatting part, that is what I have noticed about mine, they would usually run off when I walk up to them, but now if I get close they will just squatt down and not move. Thay seem to be friendler also. They will be 18 weeks Monday. 6 Red Stars

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by