So disappointed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dani xxx, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    The breeder I was getting my quail from just said his last hatch wasn't good so he is not doing any more so I can't get my chicks unless I hatch them myself. I could go and get some older ones but I was planning on handling them from very young to hopefully get friendly quails as will be pets that lay eggs only ! X :( unsure what to do ?

2. Mirei81101

Mirei81101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014
    Sorry to hear you couldn't get any.

I'd try incubating them myself- Stop over at the incubating and hatching eggs section for hatching advice.

@WVduckchick

and

@LocalYokel

are two people that I can think of right now who have hatched quail.

Best of luck.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Awwwwwwwwwww I'm really sorry :(

An idea may be to go to a place that has adult quail and pick out the most friendly ones.

One time I got four chicks. They were being raised in what looked kind of like a horse stall so you could walk in and have thirty chicks running around you. There were a ton of normal brown chicks and two white ones.

We wanted the two white ones so we had a time chasing them down since they were skittish. Then I chose two brown chicks but based on behavior - they didn't throw themselves into the wall like the majority of chicks - they just kept an eye and semi followed the frantic group but weren't actually scared.

The two docile chicks grew up to be sweet hens that I can pet and are curious and calm that I kept in my pharaoh breeding group while the two skittish white chicks never settled down and always would panic when I had to clean the cage and I've rehomed them.

So perhaps if you go to a place with young or adult Coturnix, approaching the cages and attempting to touch them could tell you whether or not they are pyscho scared or if they are more like "oh this is new?" :)

4. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Thanks I was thinking of going to look at his older chicks and hopefully they will be handleable then I can also guarantee only girls

5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Sorry about your breeder. Personally, I did not think that hatching quail was any harder than hatching chicks or ducks. Maybe a few more died before hatching, but the ones that hatched did so easily. Being in the UK, do you have access to plenty of eggs to hatch? I'd say try it at least once! [​IMG]

(I only did 2 quail hatches. My husband had a ruptured appendix and extensive surgery/recovery around the time of my second hatch, so I ended up getting rid of all my quail and haven't hatched any more since)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by