So do you think these would work for coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NancyDz, Sep 22, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    So I have my coturnix in rabbit hutches but there is no house or anywhere for them to go to get out of the elements. My weather is very mild for the most part but it will get cold this winter. I will probably cover with tarps or plastic but was wondering if the quail would use rabbit nest boxes? I have 3 or 4 that came with the hutches... 1 wood , the other's metal. Do you think they would use them? They'd have to hop in ?

Here's the type I have... size of the one the rabbit is in and my cages have about 5-6 quail per hutch.

http://www.bassequipment.com/Miscellaneous/Nesting+Equipment/default.aspx

Nancy

2. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    they will hop in the boxes as soon as you put them in the cage if not place some sand in the box they love to take sand bathes.
    I would use the wood nest box forget those cold metal boxes.
    Instead of buying a box just find you a handsaw and some 4inch boards & nail or glue together,any young boy could make you a box.

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Yea I could, just thought I'd use something that's laying around taking up space if it would work.

4. CalicoFarm

CalicoFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    North East Alabama
    I use cardboard boxes filled with sand. When they get dirty, just get a new one. I cut out a little doorway that they can hop into.

5. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I use tupperware bins for sandbaths and hideouts. [​IMG] If they get too dirty they can go through the sanitation cycle in the dishwasher.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Skywatcher Is Correct--- Dont Use The Metal Boxes--- They Will Make Hypothermia Worse. But The Wooden Box Will Work Well, As Well As Plastic Or Cardboard...

7. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I normally go buy a cheap tote for these kind of things. You might be out $3 for 3 of them. I understand wanting to use what you have also. I do the same thing most of the time. I have a outside brooder that is made from a refrigerator tube, a quail cage that is built from POP shelving, along with many other things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by