So excited! First ducks!

punk-a-doodle

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 15, 2011
So, a month ago my husband and I found a very sickly and injured Muscovy/Pekin cross by a river ducks sometimes get dumped at (these aren’t city/resident ducks). Even though he is very feral, he was super easy to catch because he was weak and had a lame leg. After a lot of food and care, he pulled through! This is our very first duck.

Well, with ducks being social creatures, we had to get him some friends...oh darn ;) Ordered five female ducklings and can’t wait to get them! Got five different breeds to kind of see which one we want to raise in the future (the male we found is a hybrid and is sterile). Silver Appleyard, Blue Runner, Buff Orpington, White Duclair, and Cayuga. Hope they all arrive safely. Already looking forward to the duck antics and fresh eggs and duckoponics fuel!

Just had to share! Who else is waiting on ordered ducklings? What did you get?!

Muscovy ducks and mixes are so pretty! They come in so many colors too. I’ll have to get some newer and better shots of him, but this is what he looks like.

Attachments

• A367154D-6FBC-4081-923C-6AFDEE99E056.jpeg
    A367154D-6FBC-4081-923C-6AFDEE99E056.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
  • C63BD0C6-53BA-46DF-903A-6F5A8E74D63C.jpeg
    C63BD0C6-53BA-46DF-903A-6F5A8E74D63C.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 85275CE0-8AF4-479F-BEA1-64BFBB36A39D.jpeg
    85275CE0-8AF4-479F-BEA1-64BFBB36A39D.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 12
Congratulations!! Do you have a picture of him? I’m waiting on 6 show quality Indian Runners. They are supposed to come March 18-19!
Edit: I’m getting a pair (male and female) Mallard, Emery Pencil, and White Runners!
That’s so exciting! Runners seem like such fun, personable ducks, and what gorgeous colors you are getting them in. We knew right away we had to include at least one Runner!

Good choice on the runner. I have 10 and I love them. They're smart (okay, except Jan, who can never figure out how everyone else got on the other side of the wire fence that she wants to go THROUGH instead of around), funny, entertaining and lovely.

Your boy is absolutely handsome!! Glad he found a good home.

He is so gorgeous!!! Such a shame someone would dump him
Isn’t he? Funny thing is, I think we actually watched him grow up! Pekins And geese are the waterfowl that are dumped (though I did see one crested and one runner mix once...but I think they maybe got eaten because they were gone in days). They then breed with the mallards and then this one Muscovy hen who we’ve watched raise several babies! I wonder if he is one of hers?

Back
Top Bottom