1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So exciting...first viable pullet egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jul 27, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    For the past few days I have been finding some soft shelled egg that have been broken or deflated because they have been layed from a roost and have hit the floor. One day there was one in a nesting box, but it looked like mostly white and not much of a shell. Today when I let them out I was looking through the coop to make sure they were all out when what did I spy with my happy little eyes...a beautiful little egg, still on the floor, but in perfect shape. A bit bigger than the ones I had previously found, but a hard shell. And one of the most beautiful things is that I usually let them out of the coop between 5:30 and 6, today I slept in a bit and didn't get out there until 6:15...none of the other hens seemed to bother it. Makes me feel good about culling the egg eater. I hope I don't have any others until I can get this girl to use a nesting box where it will be safer. Now I just have to figure out which one is laying them on the coop floor and help her see the beauty of the nesting box. Oh happy day! [​IMG]

2. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Three cheers for your girl! Congrats on the first viable egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by