So far so good.. I think... Wondering if subflocks will combine on their own into the main coop?

Well it went just fine... the pullets did get a poke or two but hardly anything at all. Sandy the Rooster just seemed fine with it all. Big sigh of relief! :) So, I figure for a little bit that I'll probably have to do the night transports to the main coop from the mini coop until they get in the habit.

I will keep both automatic doors operating until they are reliably going back to the main coop. Easier to retrieve them that way. I figure when I have 3 of the 4 going to the main coop on their own I might close the auto door on the mini-coop. For now though I don't want to risk having to crawl under the large coop at night to retrieve pullets that may not have gone inside but went underneath for shelter since they weren't able to get into their mini coop. Much easier, I think, to do the transport until the majority of the four pullets head over to the main coop at night on their own.

So far so good!!!!
UPDATE to my UPDATE: :)

It is interesting to watch the pullets behavior right now. They go into the mini coop but then exit and start walking towards the main coop and then head back again... over and over. I'm guessing they have to notice the big difference in space they had in the main coop and are torn between the old spot and the 'new' one they recently experienced. I'm guessing (?) that for now they will likely opt for the mini-coop and that I'll have to transport them again after it is dark. But I *think* the seeds are planted in terms of the notion that although the older hens are in there,, there is also a LOT more room. Normally they would have settled in their mini coop before now. Just looking at the camera feed from inside the mini coop it looks like they decided on the mini coop for now,,, but I think they will change their mind before very long...

In the meantime, I'll get ready to take them over to the main coop in the carrier in a little over an hour from now when it is really dark. BTW I have a larger pet carrier arriving tomorrow - it should be large enough to make the transport at 4 at a time instead of just two. Make the process a little more streamlined and of course it serves as a good bit of additional equipment to have on hand regardless!

UPDATE to my UPDATE: :)

It is interesting to watch the pullets behavior right now. They go into the mini coop but then exit and start walking towards the main coop and then head back again... over and over. I'm guessing they have to notice the big difference in space they had in the main coop and are torn between the old spot and the 'new' one they recently experienced. I'm guessing (?) that for now they will likely opt for the mini-coop and that I'll have to transport them again after it is dark. But I *think* the seeds are planted in terms of the notion that although the older hens are in there,, there is also a LOT more room. Normally they would have settled in their mini coop before now. Just looking at the camera feed from inside the mini coop it looks like they decided on the mini coop for now,,, but I think they will change their mind before very long...

In the meantime, I'll get ready to take them over to the main coop in the carrier in a little over an hour from now when it is really dark. BTW I have a larger pet carrier arriving tomorrow - it should be large enough to make the transport at 4 at a time instead of just two. Make the process a little more streamlined and of course it serves as a good bit of additional equipment to have on hand regardless!
The past couple of nights (where I was manually installing them into the main coop from their mini-coop) I had noticed that the 'littles' seemed torn between going to the main coop and going to the mini-coop. This morning I figured now would be a good time to close the min coop door. Just a few minutes ago the 'littles' went into the main coop and are bedding down for the night! YAY!!!!! Automatic door is already closed and the rooster the hens and the pullets are all together in the main coop, at last..... Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! :)

Back
Top Bottom