So...foxes AGAIN!!!! With a bit of a strange twist.

Nov 2, 2018
NSW Australia
So Hi. I free range my chooks (chickens) on a daily basis. I have (had now) 7 chickens:
3 mixed (two white 1 blue)
1 Sussex
1 rooster
1 black silkie x pekin bantam
I was inside when I heard the chickens going crazy, I ran outside and down to the coop. All (or so I thought) were fine. I shut them in as it is about 5:00pm and starting to get dark, as I head towards the gate (they have their own fenced off yard) I notice a clump if white feathers thinking to myself “oh boy I know where this is going” I follow them, next I see a clump of white feathers with black on them, fellow Sussex owners you know this is part of their breed, so I run back to the coop open the lid to the laying box where they are all roosting for the night. The strange thing is it’s my little black silkie X who’s missing. I’m very confused and a little worried too. But everyone (including my white chickens) are there except my silkie x. I look around for any sign of black feathers but non can be seen. It’s almost pitch black when mum comes home and I can ask for a hand. She suggests to go check on the Sussex. So we do, she’s fine, not a scratch on her or any of the others. So now I’m a little baffled. I’m not sure whether the fox came this morning when it had the thick fog to cover its tracks or if it came this evening when I was inside the house. I won’t let them out unless I’m home or someone else is home with them. I have seen the fox around before but it hasn’t bothered my chooks for almost a year. Still I kept an eye on it most of the time it was down by the neighbours lake so I just watched and made sure it didn’t come up here.
if you have any idea who’s the white feathers could be I would really like to know. I will double check them all tomorrow when it’s light out.

cluckmecoop7

I'm blessed
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
So Hi. I free range my chooks (chickens) on a daily basis. I have (had now) 7 chickens:
3 mixed (two white 1 blue)
1 Sussex
1 rooster
1 black silkie x pekin bantam
I was inside when I heard the chickens going crazy, I ran outside and down to the coop. All (or so I thought) were fine. I shut them in as it is about 5:00pm and starting to get dark, as I head towards the gate (they have their own fenced off yard) I notice a clump if white feathers thinking to myself “oh boy I know where this is going” I follow them, next I see a clump of white feathers with black on them, fellow Sussex owners you know this is part of their breed, so I run back to the coop open the lid to the laying box where they are all roosting for the night. The strange thing is it’s my little black silkie X who’s missing. I’m very confused and a little worried too. But everyone (including my white chickens) are there except my silkie x. I look around for any sign of black feathers but non can be seen. It’s almost pitch black when mum comes home and I can ask for a hand. She suggests to go check on the Sussex. So we do, she’s fine, not a scratch on her or any of the others. So now I’m a little baffled. I’m not sure whether the fox came this morning when it had the thick fog to cover its tracks or if it came this evening when I was inside the house. I won’t let them out unless I’m home or someone else is home with them. I have seen the fox around before but it hasn’t bothered my chooks for almost a year. Still I kept an eye on it most of the time it was down by the neighbours lake so I just watched and made sure it didn’t come up here.
if you have any idea who’s the white feathers could be I would really like to know. I will double check them all tomorrow when it’s light out.

Woe. I'm following.

Nov 2, 2018
NSW Australia
So only the black bird missing?
Any chance the feathers came from a wild bird taken by a hawk?
I’m not sure. I mean as far as I know there aren’t really any wild birds with white feathers around here. I mean the closest would be a cockatoo but they are almost the same size as a hawk.
yeah the black chook is the only one missing

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I’m not sure. I mean as far as I know there aren’t really any wild birds with white feathers around here. I mean the closest would be a cockatoo but they are almost the same size as a hawk.
yeah the black chook is the only one missing
Were there a lot of white feathers, did your white bird lose some?

Top Bottom