so frustrated. i don't know what to do

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i'm set up for no more than 12 birds. i had to order 25. my friend can't take half like she thought she could. i want to just sell half of them, but hubby wants to keep them & free range them or something. we have two dogs & i can't imagine this working out.
i'm going to have to do something pretty quick because they are going to grow out of their brooder space soon (originally intended for 12, not 26).
i think i'm going to sneak sell. he doesn't pay enough attention to know if there are 12 or 26.

i'm set up for no more than 12 birds. i had to order 25. my friend can't take half like she thought she could. i want to just sell half of them, but hubby wants to keep them & free range them or something. we have two dogs & i can't imagine this working out.
i'm going to have to do something pretty quick because they are going to grow out of their brooder space soon (originally intended for 12, not 26).
i think i'm going to sneak sell. he doesn't pay enough attention to know if there are 12 or 26.

Order from Ideal Hatchery in Cameron TX. They ship anywhere in the US and have a minimum 3 chicks per order and no minimum per breed. Their selection is wonderful and their staff is great.

i want to just sell half of them, but hubby wants to keep them & free range them or something. we have two dogs & i can't imagine this working out.

You can train your dogs not to chase the chickens. Once dogs are trained, they can protect the chickens from predators.

Did you order all hens or did you order straight run? If you have cockerels, you can send them or most of them to "freezer camp" in a few months.

Or you can sell some of the chicks, and maybe your husband won't notice.
smile.png

Last edited:
I would speak to the hubs about this, don't sneak sell them. Just explain the lack of space and what it can lead to (picking, egg eating, cannabalism- oh my!). Explain your concerns about free ranging them with your dogs (not to mention everything else that likes to eat chicken). And if that doesn't work, explain the effect the extra birds could have on your pocketbook and personal time (but honey, with all of these extra birds-that I wanted to sell by the way- we can't afford those extra doo dads for your truck and I don't have time to go out to the store anyway because I have all of this extra poop to clean up). My DH could care less what I do with my chickens, because they're MY chickens. He likes them, loves their eggs and the occasional fresh rooster for dinner, but he doesn't do any of the work involved in taking care of them. So I have say over who goes and who stays. Its a good thing we both don't want to keep all the cute little chicks, I'd having chickens out the wazoo! Good luck :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom