So frustrated trying to hatch chicks.

laura877

Songster
12 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Attica, Mi
Has anyone researched why this breed is so hard to hatch fertile eggs. I got 12 eggs from a reputable breeder and only had 2 develope but neither made it to hatching. I then got another 23 from another big breeder and not one even got to growing veins. In fact a lot of the eggs had a big air bubble in them. That was really strange. Whats the secret to getting a good hatch. The first order I thought maybe they had gotten too cold in transportation from down south to Michigan. I don't know about the others. Both were packed great.

Can someone tell me how many times they had to buy and hatch before they started getting live babies. This is frustrating.

It has something to do with the ear tufts. You'd have to go to the Araucana website and read up on their information. I don't totally understand it myself.

Araucanas with Tufts have the lethal gene that causes them to die around day 18-21

what i understand it a tuft gene crossed with a tuft gene produces the gene to become dominent and kills embryos

if you use a tuft roo with a non tuft hen then one will be ressesive and hopefully that should work

here in UK the tufts have been bred out for that reason

also uk breeds have a tail

The information you are being given is correct. Araucanas carry a lethal gene that prevents them from hatching. Loads of folks avoid Araucanas for this reason. I believe Ameraucanas may have been created in large part to eliminate the lethal gene issue in blue egg laying birds. You have to have thick skin to work with Araucanas. Set LOADS of eggs and be prepared for only a few to hatch.

Everyone missed what I was saying or maybe I just said it wrong. Of 35 eggs, only 2 grew and the rest didn't even start to grow. Anyone know why the air bubbles? These air bubbles are separate from the air sac.When you rotate the egg, the bubble tried to stay on top. Is this normal? Could this be why its so hard to get them to even start growing?

Everyone missed what I was saying or maybe I just said it wrong. Of 35 eggs, only 2 grew and the rest didn't even start to grow. Anyone know why the air bubbles? These air bubbles are separate from the air sac.When you rotate the egg, the bubble tried to stay on top. Is this normal? Could this be why its so hard to get them to even start growing?

that sounds like detached aircell

where your eggs shipped

if they where they would have needed 24 hour resting to settle them and then a 10day no rotate incubation with then staning on pointy end

that is to help embryo get strongenough to be able to cope with detached aircell

with that sid i have not had success yet with detached aircell incubation but people say they have and its doable

Last edited:
I had gotten 11 bad Icelandic eggs off Ebay. they started stinking at around 10 days. A real bummer.
At the same time I put in some Crele Penedesenca eggs. I got 3 females and a Male out of those. I paid for 6 eggs and she sent me 12. So got 4 out of the 6 I paid for. I guess that is putting a positive spin on it lol

Hmm. Thats sounds logical except that the air sacs were still at the end of the egg and of normal size all during incubation. I can't remember but I know I let them set at least 12 hrs but I am thinking tha I let them sit 24 before I put them in the turner.

Back
Top Bottom