So Frustrated

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barb Root Hinkkanen, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Barb Root Hinkkanen

Barb Root Hinkkanen Chirping

Aug 19, 2017
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I still can't fine where my Lucy is laying her eggs. I try to watch her and the second I look down or turn around she is gone! There must be a dozen eggs in her clutch by now. I don't know what else to do. If I keep her confined for a few days, I feel she will start laying in the egg box again, but, then what about those eggs? I don't want attract any predators.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Consider the hidden eggs a loss, lock her/ the flock up for a week or so and move on.

aart and sylviethecochin like this.
  3. My hens do this all the time, I just have to move on. Eventually I'll be an hour or two late opening the coop door and they'll go back to laying in their nest boxes again. I agree with Ol Grey Mare, lock them up just in case a predator is attracted to the lost eggs.

4. pvaldes

pvaldes Chirping

Feb 26, 2018
    are the eggs fertile?

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Let her out a few hours late. Don’t be blatant about watching her. She wants to be sneaky.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

bobbi-j and Ol Grey Mare like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: