So frustrating!!

Tyandmacsmom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
So the other day I posted about getting no eggs, and wondered if it could be the food that I had switched to. I switched back, and yesterday (a bitterly cold and disgusting day weather wise) I got 6 eggs. We got snow overnight, and today I've only gotten 1 egg (out of 14 layers.) What a tease!

I'm going to pick up some cross bred chickens tonight, to supplement my layers. They are Delaware/Australorp. I love both of those breeds, and for the price ($5/1 yr old birds), I can't knock it. The man said they are laying real well, I hope so!!! Any opinions? I'm planning to buy 6 or 8.

Thanks in advance,
Miranda

Good luck!

I have 15 hens and am currently getting ONE egg per day.
Just a month ago we were getting a dozen eggs/day!

I am so NOT happy!
hit.gif

I don't have any opinions about the birds you're wanting to purchase or how many to get but wanted to share that I feel your frustration on the lack of eggs. I'm working through that also with my three girls and while I know they slow down this time of year, completely stopping is perplexing.

No, I have one coop, but I can separate the birds if necessary. (When my hubby built it for me, he made it so dividers can slide in between 4x4 sections, and I have a HUGE yard and lots of fencing, so it won't be an issue if they don't get along. Plenty of room for the ladies. But, (hubby doesn't know it), I AM thinking of building another coop next year. Shhh! This is addicting!
smile.png
My $100 hobby has turned into $1000 +, not including food! Those are some seriously expensive eggs.
wink.png

I am the complete opposite. Mine took a break in the summer and now are going strong. Might have to do with when I hatched them. Wishing you better luck soon!

Thanks, I hope this works out with the "new girls." It's sometimes so hard to justify buying feed for them though, when I have to scrimp on stuff the kids want because I'm buying feed. I know that sounds awful, and I DON'T mean I'm going to stop buying them feed, or that my kids don't get ANYTHING to eat. lol. I just can't really afford to get them treats anymore every time we do grocery shopping (besides normal food), because I'm constantly buying chicken feed. I understand it's a give and take, and that chickens don't guarantee eggs. It's just a little easier to swallow the feed bill when you are getting something in return. We eat a lot of eggs, so although I'll never break even at this point, as long as I was getting enough to feed us and a couple of extra dozen to sell, I'd be happy. Ehh, who am I kidding...I'd only be truly happy if all the little stinkers were laying!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom