1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So Glad my Sexing was wrong.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sumatra503, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I just got 2 eggs from my extras pen. I had originally thought that there were males in their. I got that one wrong, but I'm thinking I can cope.

I now have 3 females in a pen with 1 male. I'm still unsure about the number of females in that pen, since I'll find varying numbers of eggs in there. I love those Tibetans I just hate sexing them, though.

I tried my hand at vent sexing and I suck at it.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    And now you know why I am sticking with browns even though the other quail colors are so pretty [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Once They Have Been LaYing For A Couple Of Weeks Vent Sexing Becomes Much Easier As The Hens Vent Kinda Stretches Out Or Gets Much Larger

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Agreed, a laying hen is much easier to tell. You can tell by the width of their pelvic bone. Take a bird that you KNOW without a doubt is a male and feel the distance between his pelvic bones. It should be about 1/2" to 1". Then take a known laying female and do the same...feel the difference? It should be about twice as wide. Now go try it on the ones you're unsure of [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Whenever they crow.....grab em' and tag em'! [​IMG] (Leg band...whatever.) [​IMG] I had three that I thought were females...until they crowed and starting 'dancing' with the other females... [​IMG]

6. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:[​IMG] ....Thought that last smiley was perfect...lol

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Only a hen can lay an egg, but hens can crow like a roo under the right circumstances.

I beer sex all of my non-color sex-able birds. The whole....It's wider/larger, bumps, foam, thing just freaks me out!

I grab and tag everything that crows as a roo, but when they lay an egg. All questions are answered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by