So Glad my Sexing was wrong.

Sumatra503

Kozy Orchard Farms
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I just got 2 eggs from my extras pen. I had originally thought that there were males in their. I got that one wrong, but I'm thinking I can cope.

I now have 3 females in a pen with 1 male. I'm still unsure about the number of females in that pen, since I'll find varying numbers of eggs in there. I love those Tibetans I just hate sexing them, though.

I tried my hand at vent sexing and I suck at it.

And now you know why I am sticking with browns even though the other quail colors are so pretty
gig.gif

Once They Have Been LaYing For A Couple Of Weeks Vent Sexing Becomes Much Easier As The Hens Vent Kinda Stretches Out Or Gets Much Larger

Last edited:
Agreed, a laying hen is much easier to tell. You can tell by the width of their pelvic bone. Take a bird that you KNOW without a doubt is a male and feel the distance between his pelvic bones. It should be about 1/2" to 1". Then take a known laying female and do the same...feel the difference? It should be about twice as wide. Now go try it on the ones you're unsure of
gig.gif

Last edited:
Whenever they crow.....grab em' and tag em'!
tongue.png
(Leg band...whatever.)
lau.gif
I had three that I thought were females...until they crowed and starting 'dancing' with the other females...
smack.gif

Only a hen can lay an egg, but hens can crow like a roo under the right circumstances.

I beer sex all of my non-color sex-able birds. The whole....It's wider/larger, bumps, foam, thing just freaks me out!

I grab and tag everything that crows as a roo, but when they lay an egg. All questions are answered.

Back
Top Bottom