So God Damn Noisey!

dondon

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
nottingham
hello peeps i have 2 orps and 2 brahma's the problem is the buff orp is so noisey she never ever shuts up unless she is eating! ITS BORRRK BORRRK BORRRK ALL DAY LONG! it is sooo loud its driving me crazy,so if its bothering me it must be annoying my neighbours! if it wasnt for her you would not know i have chickens in my garden,i feel like getting rid of her before i throttle her myself!
lol.png
does anyone else have a noisey chuck? and why is she doing this? they free range all day everyday from 7.30am until they want to go bed then i lock them up
smile.png
so its not as though they are confined to a small space..please help its doing my head in
sad.png
..thanks dondon uk x

I have one that hums to herself all the time. All day everyday. Yeah, it's annoying.

Yeah, when we first got our girls, I was astounded at how loud my only Buff orp was. I thought they would be all meek and calm, boy was I wrong! I spent the first year being terrified of what my neighbors would think every time she made a sound (which was most of the time), and then to add fuel to the fire, we picked up a banty NHR last Nov that ended up being EVEN LOUDER! (which i did not think was possible) they are both extremely annoying..to this day.

The only upside is that my neighbors ended up being A LOT cooler about it than I thought (even the state trooper next door, who claims to never hear them!) It's also funny that once ALL of my neighbors found out about our chickens, (and a few people down the street decided to get some too) that I didn't notice their noises as much, and it just didn't seem as loud anymore. Kinda like when you're trying to sneak and do something quietly when someone's asleep, little things seem to be extremely loud, but once that person is awake, they pay no mind to it (and you don't feel so guilty about doing things like walking around, opening and closing doors/drawers, etc)...

I guess some hens are just noisier than others. I used to think that it was because she was top of the pecking order (the BO) that she was just being a bossy nag, but the RIR is the bottom and, as I mentioned is WORSE. IDK what that's about?

Last edited:
My chicken, Alice, always has more to say, but she isn't usually noisy. Just chatty. I've never had such a chatty chicken in any of my flocks. She's the biggest complainer if they are locked up in the run for some reason and want out, though. Or when they have come to the door for their morning snack, if my husband lets them out. That's just their way of calling to me, to tell me they're there. After their snack, they go on their way for the day.

When mine are free ranging, the only time I have one be really noisy is after laying an egg. On the way back from the coop, sometimes they can't see where the flock went and they call loudly and continually, until they meet up again. My most timid hen is the one that gets the most worried, when separated like that. I get so mad at the rest of the chickens, because they won't let her know where they are!
lol.png

For that, I just go outside for a minute. She stops as soon as she sees me, as then she isn't alone. The others come running, because I may give out a snack! They meet up at the patio and everything goes back to normal.

Nothing my chickens ever do will ever be as noisy as my neighbor's geese across the road, when they get going. They always make me laugh when they get going! I can just picture them all excited and wonder what got them going.
lol.png

My BO is relatively quiet, with the exception of an occasional FEHK or FAHK. Sounds like a very short blast of one of those compressed air horn things.

You can hear my buff orp. two miles away as she's sitting on the compost pile cheering after she's stuffed herself. Man oh man. Lucky I go to work some days!
tongue.png

When my only BO was broody, she was dead silent except when she chittered at me when I checked on her eggs. Then when a solo chick hatched, she started talking allll the time to it. Not all that loudly, just a constant stream of communication with that chick.

Now that she's back to being just a flock member, and my first GrandChick is just about close to laying, the BO is still talkative. But she's not really noisy - she just never shuts up!

(I love listening to my chickens, so it doesn't bother me. Just passing on that my BO is another one of those constant chatterers.)

My Buff Orp is the noisiest when she lays and then the others join in. When she first began laying I worried about the neighbors but everyone is cool with it. I like listening to it, personally.

Back
Top Bottom