So happy with 5 BR poults, new venture for me

LOVE2FARM

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
Southern Maine
I am new to the heritage breeds and kept 2 hens last year, a Royal Palm and a Bourbon Red. I found a Bourbon Red tom this spring and with our second try, (lost the first 2 poults and the Royal Palm Hen to fox or coon)We have 4 BR with the turkey hen and tom, and 1 BR and Royal cross that hatched under my chicken. We are loving all the babies free ranging and the difference in how a chicken and a turkey raise turkeys. I think I have 3 toms and 2 hens, but we will know in a month or so. Excellent parents, tom is doing well with chicks, I will try to get pics. Soo excited, was told the tom would kill the babies, he is wonderful with them.

How COOL is that - I'm excited for you! This my first year and I had two nests that I was watching until a raccoon family came in and took almost all of the eggs (and one young bird). I found three eggs left that were cool, but I put them in the incubator & had two of them hatch this past weekend. I would have loved to have watched the hens hatch & raise them - they had sat so devotedly...... Anyway, congratulations!

I have them penned up while setting. My fault I lost the other babies, I was in between pens and was not locking them up at night. Now they are in every night. I was lucky with this hen, I brought eggs inside and put them in the incubator when she got off the nest. I had 1 hatch the next day and I waited til it was strong and placed it out with the hen. She took it and has been raising it. I tried to take the BR from the chicken hen and give it to the turkey, which worked. They were together for a few days before I let everyone free range. Mamma hen (chicken) stole the baby back. In fact, the chicken and turkey are usually together and all the babies play during the day and go to their coops at night. We are having alot of fun with them

Back
Top Bottom