So, have you ever had to 'defend'

Quote:
Me either. People ask me why & they have that tone--you know the one I'm talkin' about--I just tell them because I CAN.

I am with you all the way. I tell people that I raise them because I want to.

Everyone thinks I am nuts too. My respose to that question is simply, "I like them better than people." They usually shut up at that point.
cool.png

Quote:
Exactly.

The biggie is now for me raising some meaties. I've been processing other people's DP birds after doing my own 3 bad roos, and I got flack for that. Now, I have cute little fuzzies.

Don't they understand ALL chicken comes from cute little fuzzies????

If I feel like explaining, I just let them know I prefer to give a good life to the animals that feed me.

I am the crazy chicken lady around these parts--but guess who they turn to for eggs and chicks?? hehe I dont care what they think--I knew a CRAZY chicken lady ( 10-12 years ago and before my chicken keeping time) who did not take care of her poultry at all-I reported her-she had her animals all pulled-now she is just the crazy lady!!! she had hundreds of birds in and out of her trailor-no cages-her son came out crabbing that the turkeys pooped on his bed again! I mean really-???

I was raised walking out back to get Sunday dinner going Saturday night when I want FRESH eggs I just walk out back and get what we need instead of the old ones the stores have . Yea I normally turn it around too something like you have to eat what the stores sell?you poor thing I 'm sorry you really need to try fresh sometimes LOL

I just like them,PITA that they are sometimes. No different than having dogs or cats.Each of my hens has their own personality,and I feel BETTER having them a part of my life.

Replace the question they ask you about chickens with a question of why they got (insert animals here) and see what kind of response you will get.

If I wanted to be nasty about it, I would tell them prove it if they think getting chickens would kill you, disease ridden and all that negativity that goes with it. Just say, being at the doctor's office, touching doorknobs would be worse than having chickens disease wise! AND getting something from chickens, the percentage is low and don't believe it if they say Oh, its a high percentage will get Avian Flu and so forth. Come on, its not like measles or chicken pox!

Back
Top Bottom