so how do chickens react to change?

i’ve had my 4 ISA girls for a year, they have a 11’ x 5’ coop. i’m thinking of moving an interior wall over to gain them about 3’ more room inside their coop. for no other reason really then to expand it and redo their roosts and ladders as a project for me. but i got to thinking... just because i want to do it for “something to do”.... will they like it, or be happy with the change ? so i’m wondering what other people’s opinions/experiences are with altering their chickens familiar and comfortable environment... good idea or bad?
Well, my girls like to have a good freak out over most anything, then they get over it! I did a deep clean on the coop last weekend and cleaned out all the winter bedding and mess. cleaned, sprayed everything with poultry protect, put in all nice, fresh bedding materials with lavender and guess what??? They wouldn't go into the coop!! LOL. Tossed them in and in the morning all was good again!

Well, my girls like to have a good freak out over most anything, then they get over it! I did a deep clean on the coop last weekend and cleaned out all the winter bedding and mess. cleaned, sprayed everything with poultry protect, put in all nice, fresh bedding materials with lavender and guess what??? They wouldn't go into the coop!! LOL. Tossed them in and in the morning all was good again!
lol ! 😂 that is pretty much what i was expecting too. i can just see them holding a revolt outside the coop door at bedtime. such funny birds !

If the end result will be good for them (and more space is always good), then do it. They'll get over it.

Also, it really depends on your chickens. Breeds, personalities, how they were raised. Mine grew up with little kids and were present for and observed the entire construction of their run. Also, I had to have their coop relocated last fall and the run heavily modified, so there was a lot of change and construction going on with them right there. They also lived in my basement briefly. So they are very used to loud noises, tools, lots of fuss and mess, and things changing around them. They did just fine through it all. I wouldn't say that they are afraid of change or new things at all. Rather, they seem to be very curious. They are always up in my face examining everything I bring in, trying to peck at the spinning drill bit, climbing on my ladder, patrolling new areas to check them out etc. Only the Barnevelders are a bit reserved at first, but the Orpingtons don't give a cluck and want to see and peck everything new. They are also the first to figure out a new arrangement, how to get in/out and so on. I really can't say if it's a breed thing or how they grew up, but they take change very well (unless the change involves snow... Then they'll complain and refuse to come out :lol: ).

My chickens are probably from another planet. If someting has changed they come to investigate what happened. If it’s an improvement they adapt immediately.
More space is an improvement, so my tiny chickens would love you for it.

Example. Yesterday I put a lot of dry moss under the roosts to cover the poop from last week. They loved it so much that they made a laying nest in it. Not very convenient though. :barnie

If the end result will be good for them (and more space is always good), then do it. They'll get over it.

Also, it really depends on your chickens. Breeds, personalities, how they were raised. Mine grew up with little kids and were present for and observed the entire construction of their run. Also, I had to have their coop relocated last fall and the run heavily modified, so there was a lot of change and construction going on with them right there. They also lived in my basement briefly. So they are very used to loud noises, tools, lots of fuss and mess, and things changing around them. They did just fine through it all. I wouldn't say that they are afraid of change or new things at all. Rather, they seem to be very curious. They are always up in my face examining everything I bring in, trying to peck at the spinning drill bit, climbing on my ladder, patrolling new areas to check them out etc. Only the Barnevelders are a bit reserved at first, but the Orpingtons don't give a cluck and want to see and peck everything new. They are also the first to figure out a new arrangement, how to get in/out and so on. I really can't say if it's a breed thing or how they grew up, but they take change very well (unless the change involves snow... Then they'll complain and refuse to come out :lol: ).
you bring up a reallly good point. my girls are actually very curious too (or is called nosy 😆) we call one our ‘project manager’ because she’s always up on the work bench itching to get in the middle of all the tool action.... sounds much like yours. i was thinking i would involve them in the whole process and that way it won’t be such a big shock at bed time 😊

My chickens are probably from another planet. If someting has changed they come to investigate what happened. If it’s an improvement they adapt immediately.
More space is an improvement, so my tiny chickens would love you for it.

Example. Yesterday I put a lot of dry moss under the roosts to cover the poop from last week. They loved it so much that they made a laying nest in it. Not very convenient though. :barnie
ahhahaha ! figures hey... chickens ... lol 😂

you bring up a reallly good point. my girls are actually very curious too (or is called nosy 😆) we call one our ‘project manager’ because she’s always up on the work bench itching to get in the middle of all the tool action.... sounds much like yours. i was thinking i would involve them in the whole process and that way it won’t be such a big shock at bed time 😊
I have a "project manager", too! :lol: Definitely involve them in the process. Would provide some distraction and entertainment to them, and would be less of a shock when everything is done if they've seen it come together.

haha that’s awesome ! i always joke about getting her a tool belt and hard hat 😆
That would make for a great picture! :lol: My project manager is first to investigate anything and always wants to be in the middle of the action. She's my kids' favorite to play with, because she always wants to join their games and "help". Especially if there's digging involved. Last summer when the weather was nice, they'd grab their sand toys - various little shovels and buckets and rakes - and camp out in the chicken run, digging and making mud pies and whatever, and she was always right there in the middle of it helping. Absolutely adorable :love

That would make for a great picture! :lol: My project manager is first to investigate anything and always wants to be in the middle of the action. She's my kids' favorite to play with, because she always wants to join their games and "help". Especially if there's digging involved. Last summer when the weather was nice, they'd grab their sand toys - various little shovels and buckets and rakes - and camp out in the chicken run, digging and making mud pies and whatever, and she was always right there in the middle of it helping. Absolutely adorable :love
how cute is that !! that is so precious, i can just picture it 🥰 ❤️ i loved reading that your kids make mud pies, i was just talking about that the other day and remembering back when i used to do that lol

Back
Top Bottom