So how do you tell what the pecking order is in your flock is?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DerbyChook, Jun 22, 2010.

1. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I have five 12 week old hens, no rooster. There is some chest bumping here and there, but mostly everyone seems content. How do I tell which is #1, #2, etc?

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    The ones who get the treats from you first while the others hang back are the dominant ones. Often they will nip the upstarts who try to get a front seat. However, pecking order can change when they're so young. Watch for subordinates who build up a little more "cockiness" and push others aside.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, you can learn that by observation really. Just set a spell, and watch them free ranging, or watch how they interact in the chicken run if you don't let them free range.

Usually, you can tell which one is the leader....other chickens follow her around and such. I've got 19 chickens right now, and they hang out in little groups--they hang out with their hatch-mates. Anyhow, I can tell in each group who is the head honcho, and also who is the number two hen.

It's reallly fun to watch them sometimes.....so enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by