So how would you manage a problem skunk?

Quote:
this is not legal in some states ( va being one) check you local laws before using this method

it's not legal to trap out of season, no matter your method of disposal. They even decided that we have to BUY a de-predation permit to trap "problem" animals (like raccoons) on our own property. Tell the game warden to come and get me now.....
It's not legal to shoot inside the city limits either.....
I'm not too terribly worried about it. Obviously.

skunk is considered a nuisance animal here we do not have a "season" or limit mostly I trap in town I have a multitude of ways to dispatch something quietly in town BTW skunks are fond of cheetos and constructing a syringe pole is quiet a project it is easier to buy one googlw WCS

aprophet, LOL I ran out of jack mac last season and threw some cheese puffs in one of my live traps and ended up with Mr Stinky! I hit the population HARD around the house last season and have not smelled once this summer at all.

Did catch a coon last night by my quail pen!

We had a spotted skunk that used to frequent our yard. We purchased a couple of large containers of hot chili pepper powder and sprinkled it around the perimeter. (sprinkled a lot) and it seemed to deter the skunk enough to move on to someplace else.

The problem I'm having the past few days is that it's reaching through the trap wire to get the bait instead of going inside the trap. It emptied 2 traps and I think I scared it away before it could finish the 3rd. I got mad and set leg traps next to the box trap to catch it when it tried this, but all I caught last night was black hair. and a possum in one of the traps. heh

I've heard suggested on this forum for raccoons to make them a last meal of Golden Marlin and soda. You think skunks like coke? I'm getting desperate.

Lost 2 of my 3 guineas to some unknown predator two nights ago. Thought it may have been an owl since we have one in the creek behind the house and the guineas perch high. Set two live traps last night and a conibear. Surprise --two young skunks in them this morning. Since they were small, know that there are more around. It is a constant battle.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've released 2 previously and never had any trouble with them. I consider them in the same class as possums in regard to "threat level" to my birds.

I'm curious now what you consider the "threat level" of possums? I've always known them to be considered only slightly less of a problem than raccoons and stray dogs?

Quote:
I set the trap where I can dig a hole and put the bait in then set the trap over the hole centering the trigger over the bait I normally put some hay ,leave and stuff like this to blend the trap in a little then either stake it down with a coupla pieces of 24-30" re rod or just put a cinder block on top of it

Back
Top Bottom