So how would you manage a problem skunk?

be careful I just read a report from USDA that stated that about 75-80% of skunks carry the rabies virus about a year before they develop symptoms ie they appear to be perfectly healthy. I use rubber gloves to move any critters I am disposing of

The second skunk is a goner and I got 14 eggs today!!
wee.gif

We have a ton of skunks here....and by a ton, I mean our neighbor has trapped 36 last spring! Because there have been so many here, he has taken the have a heart trap and ties a rope to it and lowers it into the river behind our house. We live right on a river. 20 min later, no more skunk!

With skunks, I have set up a radio on a timer in the shed they like to dig under. Loud rock music discourages them from hanging around at night. There have been no baby skunks in the yard since I started this.

In my area, the USDA has a trapper who will loan you a trap and then come and clear it of the animal when you call him. I don't ask him what he uses to kill the critters (mostly raccoons), or what he does with the carcass. The deal is you have to let him put the animal down. Try calling your local Farm Bureau.

A Couple different things you can try and let me tell you, both WORK!
1) if you trap it DON"T shoot it! Fill a garbage can full of water and after draping a shower curtain over the trap so you can move it w/o getting sprayed, drop it in. They won't spray when they drowd.

2) Have a bonfire, invite a few different gentlemen and give them as much beer as they want, w/1 stipulation... they have to releave themselves around the coop! Sounds silly, but let me tell you, your skunk will leave ASAP and not come back

We have a lot of skunks here north Texas. Over the past thirty years I've come into contact with quite a few. You don't need to be overly afraid of being sprayed. As with any wild animal, you move slowly, quietly, and don't make sudden noises.

According to a skunk program on PBS, it takes them up to 30 days to recharge their scent glands. It explains why they aren't quick to spray. They are slow animals, with small teeth and claws, can't climb well and overall are rather bumbling. Without scent, they are helpless to attack. I've captured many in live traps by wiring a drumstick bone to the trip plate area. I cover one side or top of the trap with a piece of plywood or if the wind isn't blowing, a piece of canvas. This makes them a little more secure and if one were to spray, I have at least a partial shield. Years ago, when our area was less populated, I would carry them away in the bed of a truck and release them by opening the trap with a string. In thirty years, a trapped skunk has not sprayed me. The only time I've caught the edge of a spray was because of a dog.

It was December, I was in college, and my date had arrived to take me on a night time tour of homes decorated for Christmas. I stepped outside and briefly saw my cattle dog couching at the edge of the porch. My date was closely following me, to close the door on the cold air. The dog took my presence as the signal to jump at a barely visible animal a few feet away. I squawked something unintelligible and tried to shove my date back through the door. He was confused and stood there solidly. It was like pushing a wall! The dog got a direct hit. We weren't sure how much we received, as our noses quickly became numb to the smell. We decided we were okay and departed for the prepaid tour. Much to our embarrassment, the lines that night moved rather quickly to let us by!

Skunks can be very confident, even cocky, little animals. I found one unhurriedly nosing around and decided to see if I could follow it. It gave me a look as I approached, so I froze. Then it continued its exploration. This went on for several minutes until it just ignored me and plodded along snuffling. I got to within four feet, well within spray range. I followed until it disappeared into the grass.

Another time, I was riding a green (newly trained) mare down a dirt road when she slithered to a halt. Young horses can be hard to urge forward, especially if they are being forced to leave companions, but this was different. She completely froze, head lowered, and stared fixedly at a point across the road. I could feel her tremble slightly through the saddle.

At first I saw nothing. Dense corn rustled slightly in the evening breeze. Then at the edge of the field appeared a small animal. We weren't a threat, we were more than 30 feet away. But he took full advantage of his superiority, stomping his feet, then doing handstands, while flicking his tail in our direction. The mare refused to move in any direction. After he tired of this intimidation, he casually turned and with a final flick of his tail, disappeared into the corn. The horse heaved a huge sigh and moved on.

Lately, we been shooting any we see or trap. First, because I can't release them like I used to and secondly, we have vulnerable chickens, but the biggest reason is rables. Rabies is common here among skunks. We have had a confirmed case of rabies less than a quarter mile away last week. Unfortunately, for a rather interesting little animal, there's now a zero tolerance policy.

I place a towel over the trap then place a 2inch pvc pipe under the towel. I put the other end in my truck tail pipe. Start truck and walk away. 15 minutes later the skunk has gone to stinky heaven. In my mind the skunk just gets really sleepy and never wakes up.

In my town the animal control people will set up traps and take them away. They just hold a blanket up to hide behind and slowly approach the trap and cover it with the blanket, then put the trap in the van and relocate it to a remote area. If you set the trap on your own, you are on your own when it comes to removal. Sooo I just let them do it.

Back
Top Bottom