1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So I am wondering....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yadaguhtoo, Aug 25, 2011.

1. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Right now I have 6 Lavender orpingtons (1 roo 5 hens) I really love them and would like to keep them pure so I can possibly sell hatching eggs next spring but I would really like to add a couple EE's or Welsummers just for fun (hens only) Would this be okay or is it considered not proper in the chicken world? I figure if I only have a Lav Orp roo then I will be able to tell which eggs are pure orp or not by color right? Advice?

2. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    I think that is a great idea and am thinking of a scenario similar to that also. With those breeds you just mentioned it would be easy to tell the orps apart and if your only going to hatch them just collect the others often and throw them in the fridge.

3. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you kev-chickadees I was hoping someone would agree:) My feed store is getting one last batch of chicks for the season in tomorrow. I will be there!

4. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Bump :) Still curious what others think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by