so i cant get the humidity up past 40%

lindy

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Oregon
I am using a fridge/incubator with fan, i have a large water container on one shelf, and the towel is moist that the eggs are sitting on. they are pipping right now but i cant get the humidity up anymore? any suggestions?

What are you measuring humidity with? If it's one of the AcuRite thermometers with the probe, the probe does not measure humidity, only the main unit does. That's a common mistake, just in case you have one of those (many do use that one). The main unit has to be inside the bator. I realize you are in a low humidity area so that in itself would make it hard to get the reading up where it should be.

Did you calibrate your hygrometer before you used it to be sure it's accurate?

If your sure your hygrometer is working properly there are a few other things you can try as well.
Adding several wet cloths (make sure you preheat the water to 100 degrees before wetting them)
Also surface area is more important for humidity than depth.
A shallow wide pan will add way more humidity than a narrow deep one.
Good luck and hopefully they all get down to business quickly for you.

Ok, the pan is on the one shelf that i have it covers most of the shelf. the towel is wet were the eggs are. i placed more towels just in case. when i opened the bator real quick there was some soft area were they were piping but the rest of the white of the shell was hard so not enough humidity. i hope they dont shrink wrap. it felt a bit humid but not like taking a shower. i wont open it anymore as there isnt anything else i can do.
sad.png
i think ill use this bator for the first 18 days then switch to the other one that holds humidity better, it doesnt cool but still keeps the temp ok.
wish me luck, i sure hope they make it.

Last edited:
surface area is what will increase your humidity. the wet towel maybe doing more for your humidity than your container of water, if it is not wide enough.

for instance, our incubator has 3 trays. the front 2 smaller trays filled with water will get us to 50%. filling the larger back tray with the front to will put us at 70%.

try a large, shallow pan with the fan blowing across it, if possible, and make note of your humidity level

awesome! thanks,
two hatched last night, yay. the temp/hydro quit working got to wet probably when they started hatching meaning it was probably 100% in there. i took out one water container as i didnt want the chickies to fall in it and took a shower so the humidity didnt go down much since i opened the door, the temp/hydro started working as soon as i took it out. i think the batteries get wet.
I got a yellow/white one and a splash i believe. i thought the yellow/white would have to be a splash also since the parents were blues. i didnt get to see them too much as the window is foggy. they are sooooooooooooo cute though..two were piping that i can see... i didnt check them when i moved them at day 18.
thanks for the help.

Congrats.
I use one of these which avoids the moisture buildup you can get in a digital thermometer/hygrometer.
91691_remote_thermometer.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some pics when you have time.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Humidity does not soften the shell-that is a misconception. That isn't what it's for at all. It's to keep the inner membrane from becoming too dry. You never said what you were using to check humidity.

Back
Top Bottom