So I decided to buy some chicks.

Mtnmnstr

Chirping
Feb 19, 2015
Amory, So Tupelo.
From the time I was a little kid, well , younger. I thought about having chickens, don't know why. I moved to Mississippi and bought a little bit of property. As iI posted in the new members forum, the wife and I went to TSC and adopted 5 Cornish Rock, 5 Asian Blues and 5 Bantams. Took them home and I placed them in one of my Model boxes with a light, water and food. The Wife took up a perch to watch them. this was 4 weeks ago.

More to come

What a wonderful photo - it is amazing how well these little birds can pull a person into just sitting and watching their little chicken society play out. You really jumped in with both feet getting both meat birds and layers on your first go 'round.

Aww!! We have a similar story, however we only got 6 chickens to start with. But we absolutely love watching them grow. Good luck!!

Apparently, The more you feed them, THEY GROW!!!!
Had to move them out of the little box to a bigger box. We got a largest plastic tote from Walmart. This tote only lasted long enough to put together the wooded box.

This was 1 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Now we're building the run and coop. I decided to build 6'6" x 49" panels to bolt together on site. The wood in the back of the truck is the Coop. I found a surplus company the is taking all the crates form a truck manufacturing Co. and reselling them. The panels are 7'6" x 4'6" 1/2 ply with 2x4 reinforcing from the sides of the crate. At $5 each I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I thought each run would be 12' x 12'. We do plan on letting the them out to roam the yard. they'll have about an acre and a half.

The site will be just past the garden we're starting.

The pic is a little deceiving. This in the acre and a half the chicken can roam. The coop will be about 150 feet past the garden.

Last edited:
And the bigger they grow the more they eat! LOL! I feel like they never stop eating. Love the coop and run idea you have. We actually found a coop on Craigslist for cheap and it was in good condition. Cleaned it up and painted it. We plan to build on to it and make it bigger. We live on about 14 acres. The chickens have about 5 that they can free range on but they do not go very far from the coop just yet.

Cornish Cross are mind boggling with just how quickly they grow, aren't they - especially when you've got them mixed in with laying breeds and see the difference in just how quickly they get to that massive, 'ready to go' stage.

Is Cornish Cross the proper name? TSC said Rock. Every time I try to look it up all I see is Cross. I'm Think'n TSC was not quite correct.

They are often called Cornish Rock or Cornish X Rock, etc - but the more common name is Cornish X/ Cornish Cross -- any of the names work
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom