So... I got my first egg! Now what?

crittersitter

Songster
13 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Westchester County,NY
My SLW, one day shy of 20 weeks laid her first egg 48 hours ago. When should I expect her next egg? I know its around 25 hours between laying. Seeing as how she is still on the young side should I expect an egg daily from now on? Or should I be concerned that 48 hours has gone by without another egg? BTW-it was a perfect egg!!
Thanks!
big_smile.png

It'll be kind of random at first, then her cycle will kick in and she might lay an egg every day, skipping a day once in a while. Some breeds lay an egg every other day.

Isn't it fun to find that first egg?! Congrats!

Oh you are welcome....non chicken people just don't understand the excitement of that first egg! LOL! Gotta share it with somebody who can relate! haha:lol:

Quote:
You mean how did I know when to start looking???

She was really lovey dovey and following me all over. We decided to give her some golfballs to get her in the mindframe of laying.Then she dissapeared and I panicked. Hubby went to the coop and she was hanging out in the nesting box on the golfballs. I shoo'ed her away and came back in an hour and there was an egg!

she has also started squatting alot and i heard the infamous" bok bok bakawww". Funny though, that came from my other two girls. My egglayer was the silent one. Hopefully they will all be laying soon! Her comb and waddles also became very red.

i am so proud of her and I guess I got lucky because she is on the young side to start laying.

yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I mean should I keep an eye out for any warning signs from my girls? or do I just check every day after about 16 weeks? Basically will I be able to tell when they're ready to lay

I'm pretty sure I saw warning signs from my girl (but maybe I'm chicken crazy)and it was every description that i read on BYC. She started squatting when I would approach, combs and wattles turning a deep red. I don't know why she all of the sudden "fell in love" with me, and hubby and the neighbor...haha but I'd like to think she was saying, "mama you have been so good to me...come see my presents for you."

She definatley started acting different. She was at the top of the pecking order and then the other two girls started ignoring her and 'teamed up" together. The day I got my egg the other two started "bok bokking" and I thought they were going to lay. Boy was I wrong....they were singing the eggsong for their sister!
It has been so exciting and FINALLY my hubby has taken interest in the girls. He checks the box 3 times a day now!

Best Wishes to you!!

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how sometimes it's everyone else who sings the eggsong? The only one not singing is the one doing all the work.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom