so I got some Guineas, but what about bees....

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
Everyone around here has been telling me to get Guineas (for flea, tick, and bug control) so I did. I had 5 keets shipped to me along with my chick/duck order. But today it hit me. What about bees??? Will they eat my bees?? They can eat everything else but not them. I need my bees for my garden and fruit trees. (I call them my bees, I do not raise them or anything, but we just have bees all over the place and I love them) Wondering what I should do now, and how other people handle this situation.
TIA.

They do eat bees! I don't think they will eat all of them like they would in a hive. My guineas have never seemed to hurt my population.

Well I am thinking I will make some cages out of 2X4 wire to make sure they don't stand in front of my hives. And also make a slanted landing, so the bees have to fly upward. I just got my keets yesterday and already I am having difficulties, but I better make a new topic.

Well shoot! I never even thought about my bees! We just got our first hives about a month ago. And our first keets today.

I have had two hives for about two months. I don't notice the guineas standing around eating them, although, bee are evrywhere there are flowers. We have a lot of white clover and several varieties of blooming trees, herbs, and shrubs. When I checked my observation window it looks like my colony has doubled in size so I don't think my guineas are that great of a threat. Maybe it's too soon to tell. There are also plenty of bumblebees too. And with the rain, a plethora of grasshoppers. I have never seen them eat any bees but I'm not watching them all day. Good luck and I have heard of others placing hives behind screens and so forth. I just don't think it's worth all the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom