so i had a question about molting and ehat i need to know

Animal-lover339

Songster
5 Years
Oct 10, 2018
Puerto rico
20190904_131357.jpg
20190904_131514.jpg
hello,good morning and good night well i had a question with molting ive never had chickens molting before but i purchased a game cock i really cant say its old english game cuz to me hes just a rooster but as u can see vy the picture im posting hes thin and thing legged so i just say hes the "perfect puertorican game cock" but he recently started to molt his tail and my question was what can i do to make sure he has all the things needed to stay healthy during a molt
20190904_131340.jpg
20190904_131357.jpg
20190904_131514.jpg
20190904_131510.jpg

Use a high protein feed like feather fixer to help him regrow his feathers. You can actually give feather fixer all year round if you like. Just check your percentages. He looks very thin. Poor guy. You might want to give him some electrolytes as well. Ive never had that hard of a molt though. Are you sure he's just molting and wasnt being bullied?

Use a high protein feed like feather fixer to help him regrow his feathers. You can actually give feather fixer all year round if you like. Just check your percentages. He looks very thin. Poor guy. You might want to give him some electrolytes as well. Ive never had that hard of a molt though. Are you sure he's just molting and wasnt being bullied?
oh oki doki thank you,he is actually at a good weight see hes a fight cock so he was bred to be a specific weight hes a lightweight rooster but actually hes pretty heavy since i dont train hom for fighting hes well actually pretty fat and ive never even experienced a molt ever so this is my first honestly he cant be bullied he will literally kill anythinf that moves thats why i keep him in a cage hes very territorial

What a lovely dude. First confirm it's molt and not lice or mites. While wearing light colored fabric gloves or holding a white terrycloth washrag, ruffle the feathers at the base of his tail, below his vent and under his wings. Your gloves or rag should now have dirt specks on them... is the dirt moving? If he has external parasites, you can apply permethrin directly onto all of your birds, on their roosts, in their coop... follow the directions on the medication and you'll do fine. If he is indeed molting, you can help him by providing a sand bath (plain construction sand that's not been colored or chemically treated works GREAT). As he grooms and bathes in the sand, he'll have the benefit of the abrasive action to help scrub and scratch the dead feathers off of himself and get to all those itches that he's sure to have.
In both cases, parasites or molting, You can provide a big boost to his protein intake to help him regrow his feathers by adding up to 10% of his daily dietary intake by weight, not volume, of ground up dry cat food (typically 30% protein), rice (high in methionine, but low in protein), dried or cooked peas (high in lysine, but a huge hit on protein; only 5% protein), COOKED beans (high in lysine, but again, a huge hit on protein; only 8%, give or take). Although his protein intake would drop from the rice and peas/beans as a treat, the benefit of the feather building amino acids of methionine and lysine would make it an option worth considering.
His skin appears very sore and red, perhaps some coconut oil or sunflower oil rubbed into his drumsticks, where he's bald, would help ease some of his discomfort.

Lot's of good protein to help him regrow his feathers. Check the percentage on the label for what you are feeding now. You can also add more protein by giving him high protein treats, like tuna or mealworms.

What a lovely dude. First confirm it's molt and not lice or mites. While wearing light colored fabric gloves or holding a white terrycloth washrag, ruffle the feathers at the base of his tail, below his vent and under his wings. Your gloves or rag should now have dirt specks on them... is the dirt moving? If he has external parasites, you can apply permethrin directly onto all of your birds, on their roosts, in their coop... follow the directions on the medication and you'll do fine. If he is indeed molting, you can help him by providing a sand bath (plain construction sand that's not been colored or chemically treated works GREAT). As he grooms and bathes in the sand, he'll have the benefit of the abrasive action to help scrub and scratch the dead feathers off of himself and get to all those itches that he's sure to have.
In both cases, parasites or molting, You can provide a big boost to his protein intake to help him regrow his feathers by adding up to 10% of his daily dietary intake by weight, not volume, of ground up dry cat food (typically 30% protein), rice (high in methionine, but low in protein), dried or cooked peas (high in lysine, but a huge hit on protein; only 5% protein), COOKED beans (high in lysine, but again, a huge hit on protein; only 8%, give or take). Although his protein intake would drop from the rice and peas/beans as a treat, the benefit of the feather building amino acids of methionine and lysine would make it an option worth considering.
His skin appears very sore and red, perhaps some coconut oil or sunflower oil rubbed into his drumsticks, where he's bald, would help ease some of his discomfort.
oh tahnk you very much ill check that out ,oh thats not sore lol its how they ready them for a fight and or exhibition

Back
Top Bottom