So I hate sleepovers....

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
Part of this is really my issue as a person. Something I struggle with as a parent. I adore my children, but in general I don't like other people's kids all that much. And I am a very private person and I dislike letting other people into my life like that. So, I grit my teeth and I try to bear it. I try to schedule sleep overs when DH will be home because he actually likes kids!

Here's how they've gone:

1.) little girl catches her foot on the tractor in the barn (not running) it is bruised and swells. I call her mom mom comes and looks at it. I had already done RICE and it was OK the girl stays.

2.) Mom and girl swear kid has no food issues but this kid was a disaster screaming running around the house being mean to our kids....

3.) kid pees on the sofa and doesn't tell us. She gets up changes her pajamas and sleeps on another sofa. I find the wet spot in the morning when I sit on it.

4.) kid gets stung by a bee. It swells but not a huge amount. I call her mom and ask permission to give her benadryl. I warn mom and she learns from the pediatrician that the reaction is early warning of allergy and this kid now comes with an epi-pen.

5.) Disaster kid gets another chance mom still swears she is OK its a party so we have sundaes. Within minutes this kid is running around screaming and then falls on the floor in what looks like a tantrum and quickly turns into a seizure! ER visit parent etc golly gosh the kid has food allergies. (that event is another whole story!)

6.) so new kid her second overnight and she starts coughing and wheezing. I go into the living room to check on her (the girls are sleeping on the floor) and she says, "Oh I have asthma but I didn't bring an inhaler." I call mom use my inhaler on her but ask mom to come get her.

Is it me? Do I have extraordinary bad luck with sleep overs????

OMG... that is tooo funny! I can't believe the luck you have. I think your kids need to find healthier friends! I hate sleepovers too. I feel the exact same way about other people's kids. We haven't had the kind of luck you have though, we have never had a major issue except one kid who is constantly breaking some part of her body came over with a broken arm. She was 3 days from getting her cast off and I walked outside just in time to see her fly down the hill next to our house on my daughter's bike... completely out of control. She flipped and fell (broken side down.. of course) rolling head over heels.
ep.gif
th.gif
Then she lets out an ear piercing scream. GREAT! Her parents were supposed to be there any minute.... and now we have killed their child. SUPER. Thankfully she was not any more broken than when they sent her over, she was just a little scraped up.

We didn't have anyone else over for quite a while after that.
hide.gif

I loved sleep overs! With three boys and a girl it was far easier w/ boys. Everything subject to breaking, at least it wasn't his pitch screaming, and unless an appendage fell off and the couldn't sneak the duct tape out to repair, so be it. It helped.to know their parents. Once we had an accident and had to bury Bob in the yard, but once the startled Dad called and i explained it was a toad the boys snuck in and hid in a bucket of water until he floated, everything was ok. Our asthmatic kid lived next door and once we had to retrieve his medication. Have you done the school field trips yet? Love going with the.boys group. Nobody whines although they wear you down...

oh i love when my nephew has his freinds over he is 8 and his freinds are freinds from school (its a catholic school) the kids that come over are sooo funny and adorable! very polite and helpful two of his best freinds are identical twin boys both 8 years old the first time ever at our house after eating hotdogs up in my nephews room they brought there plates down (without us asking) and offerd to wash them! we shooed them back upstairs to continue playing. and htey were so excited when we allowed them to each take a bowl of ice cream upstairs excidily one tells us "were never allowed to have ice cream in our bedrooms! i swear if i spill it ill clean it all up!" even my nephew isnt this helpful! and when it was time to go to sleep the one little boy kept saying "shhh dont wake everyone up!" i just love little kids they are so funny and cute

These sleepover stories are so funny! Burying Bob...and the girl flying through the air... It would be scary if someone went into seizures from food allergies, though. I don't want that on my watch.

But in general, I think the sleepover's enjoyment rate is dependent on the manners of the kids. Of course, disasters sometimes just happen...
smile.png

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Part of this is really my issue as a person. Something I struggle with as a parent. I adore my children, but in general I don't like other people's kids all that much. And I am a very private person and I dislike letting other people into my life like that. So, I grit my teeth and I try to bear it. I try to schedule sleep overs when DH will be home because he actually likes kids!

Here's how they've gone:

1.) little girl catches her foot on the tractor in the barn (not running) it is bruised and swells. I call her mom mom comes and looks at it. I had already done RICE and it was OK the girl stays.

2.) Mom and girl swear kid has no food issues but this kid was a disaster screaming running around the house being mean to our kids....

3.) kid pees on the sofa and doesn't tell us. She gets up changes her pajamas and sleeps on another sofa. I find the wet spot in the morning when I sit on it.

4.) kid gets stung by a bee. It swells but not a huge amount. I call her mom and ask permission to give her benadryl. I warn mom and she learns from the pediatrician that the reaction is early warning of allergy and this kid now comes with an epi-pen.

5.) Disaster kid gets another chance mom still swears she is OK its a party so we have sundaes. Within minutes this kid is running around screaming and then falls on the floor in what looks like a tantrum and quickly turns into a seizure! ER visit parent etc golly gosh the kid has food allergies. (that event is another whole story!)

6.) so new kid her second overnight and she starts coughing and wheezing. I go into the living room to check on her (the girls are sleeping on the floor) and she says, "Oh I have asthma but I didn't bring an inhaler." I call mom use my inhaler on her but ask mom to come get her.

Is it me? Do I have extraordinary bad luck with sleep overs????

No, you need to run for the hills and do it now. I never let my son have more than 2 people over night EVER. Because I am like you. I really don't like other peoples children. Or maybe its the parents raising of the children I don't care for. Whatever. Set your limits for what you can handle. And if one kid turns out to be a problem child, they can't come back. Period. And be honest with the parents too. Sorry, I can't handle seizures, or screaming, or puking, or whatever it is the kid does to irritate you.

Remember. It's YOUR house.​

Back
Top Bottom