So, I have a four legged chicken.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bodacious, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Bodacious

Bodacious New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    True story. I got her from Atwoods, along with the others that I originally planned on getting. She's a white plymouth rock, and I'm guessing she had a twin whose legs are now attached to her back. I felt bad for her, so I took her home. The Atwoods employee helping me was excited that I was willing to take her and gave her to me at no charge.

Anyway, here's the thing: I need a name. I know there must be about a million clever names for a four legged chicken, but nothing so brilliant has come to mind so far. What can y'all think of?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I have no name suggestions, but I'll be following her progress, so keep us updated.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I thought about this for a while and realized it wasn't very easy to think of a good name based on "four" in the English language. So I looked at other languages for inspiration. I found this website: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english-thesaurus/four

I think the Greek word for four sounds nice: Tesera

So my suggestion is Tesera Quadrupedra.

Plymouth Rocks are really sweet chickens. I hope your little quadruped chick stays healthy as she grows and is accepted by her flock mates. I hope you share more photos of her as she grows.

1 person likes this.
  4. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Omg how sweet.... how about tetra (4) (at least in french not sure if it is in English).... please post more pics... hope she frows normally

5. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    The first name that popped into my head was "Drumstick", but I like the "Tesera" suggestion better lol

6. Bodacious

Bodacious New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Quote: Hah yeah - when I told my boss I had a four legged chicken he said I had struck gold because his family only likes the legs!

Fortunately for this soon-to-be-named hen, I don't really have the heart to eat my chickens :)

She's about three weeks old now, and she's doing great for the most part. She is actually out-growing the other chicks I bought with her. The only real problem she has right now is impaction. About every other day I run some warm water and break up the mess, which is a ritual she has grown to despise. She lets me know about it, too.

Our ritual does, however, provide an opportunity to get a better (albeit uglier) view of exactly how her extra limbs are attached. I snapped a couple of photos while we were drying off/warming up. You can also see in the first photo that things aren't quite in the right place on her hind side. Otherwise it looks normal; I'm not really sure why she's having so much trouble with impaction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  7. Bodacious

Bodacious New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Tesera is nice. I'm going to wait to see if anyone else comes up with anything, but I'm definitely putting that in my my list and I may end up picking it.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Exactly. [​IMG]

9. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Great thread! Hoping your little chick does well! How old is she now?

10. JenBoughtHens

JenBoughtHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    Mississippi
    Polymelia - meaning many legs.

You could call her Polly ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by