so I have some questions

Is that a bantam?
I'm not that up to speed on the breed, but that may be a red Pyle old English game. Hopefully someone else will chime in, I could well be wrong!

Red Pyle is the color though, if a banty it's old english, if normal chicken size American game.

Yes but those aggressive characteristics may be passed on to offspring.
One could only hope, as those traits must be present to have a chicken as a chicken was meant to be, noble, beautiful, intelligent enough to interact at a much higher level. Long lived with a fifteen to twenty year productive lifespan because it is not rife with genetic defects. Able to survive with little human intervention or shelter, not only survive but flourish, often reaching plague like proportions despite predators .

These birds traits are why chickens were domesticated in the first place. And their genetic input has been added back to the barnyard fluffball to make every "new" breed that has come down the pipe, adding structural correctness, breeding soundness, and the instincts necessary to survive and forage. This is the historical reason for these breeds popularity and success, and also the reason why they later fail to perform up to the standards of their early documentations. A dose of game helps any chicken, but they can only ride the wave so long before those traits are lost. Their perfection is owing to the fact that they have been selected, over thousands of years, by being culled by birds that were better than them, instead of some weird chicken lady that thought their butt wasn't fluffy enough.

Is that a bantam?
I'm not that up to speed on the breed, but that may be a red Pyle old English game. Hopefully someone else will chime in, I could well be wrong!

Red Pyle is the color though, if a banty it's old english, if normal chicken size American game.
oh thank you very much that explains why he is so tiny next to the other roosters I've seen but what's the diferencie between old English and just wellI guess modern English roosters?

One could only hope, as those traits must be present to have a chicken as a chicken was meant to be, noble, beautiful, intelligent enough to interact at a much higher level. Long lived with a fifteen to twenty year productive lifespan because it is not rife with genetic defects. Able to survive with little human intervention or shelter, not only survive but flourish, often reaching plague like proportions despite predators .

These birds traits are why chickens were domesticated in the first place. And their genetic input has been added back to the barnyard fluffball to make every "new" breed that has come down the pipe, adding structural correctness, breeding soundness, and the instincts necessary to survive and forage. This is the historical reason for these breeds popularity and success, and also the reason why they later fail to perform up to the standards of their early documentations. A dose of game helps any chicken, but they can only ride the wave so long before those traits are lost. Their perfection is owing to the fact that they have been selected, over thousands of years, by being culled by birds that were better than them, instead of some weird chicken lady that thought their butt wasn't fluffy enough.

But we're not talking about wild chickens we're talking about backyard chickens whom many of us have as pets and are DOMESTICATED.

Yes, we do still selectively breed them for different characteristics which can sometimes be fluffiness ect. But what’s wrong with that? They’re not wild, they can be pets just like dogs and cats.

But we're not talking about wild chickens we're talking about backyard chickens whom many of us have as pets and are DOMESTICATED.

Yes, we do still selectively breed them for different characteristics which can sometimes be fluffiness ect. But what’s wrong with that? They’re not wild, they can be pets just like dogs and cats.
Lol try telling my feral American game they are domesticated!:lol:

No, we most definitely aren't talking about wild chickens, we are talking about domesticated chickens, chickens that have been domesticated for far longer, and to a higher degree than any other chickens. Intensively selected for ease of handling and close human contact. That is why gamefowl are better behaved than most of your barnyard breeds. They weren't just chucked in a pen and expected to lay eggs, in many cases they have been handled for thousands of years, eaten with, slept with, exercised, groomed. The fact that they were also selected to be the fittest and most athletic kept them more to the wild form, which is the most perfect structural manifestation of the chicken. So they do make the best pets, if you are going to have pet chickens, both in terms of personality, and in terms of longevity. The worst part of having a pet is losing it, so why wouldn't someone want one that would be around for a while? A good gamefowl will outlast most dogs.

No, we most definitely aren't talking about wild chickens, we are talking about domesticated chickens, chickens that have been domesticated for far longer, and to a higher degree than any other chickens. Intensively selected for ease of handling and close human contact. That is why gamefowl are better behaved than most of your barnyard breeds. They weren't just chucked in a pen and expected to lay eggs, in many cases they have been handled for thousands of years, eaten with, slept with, exercised, groomed. The fact that they were also selected to be the fittest and most athletic kept them more to the wild form, which is the most perfect structural manifestation of the chicken. So they do make the best pets, if you are going to have pet chickens, both in terms of personality, and in terms of longevity. The worst part of having a pet is losing it, so why wouldn't someone want one that would be around for a while? A good gamefowl will outlast most dogs.

But they also tend to be much less friendly and can be quite flighty.

Some people prefer to have pets that don’t live as long, especially older people since they don’t want their pet to out live them. I actually have a bantam Cochin going on 12 years now and she’s the sweetest thing and even lays eggs still occasionally.

I’m just not sure what your trying to get at?

Back
Top Bottom