So I have this chick that I saved from it's mother...

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
I have a sex link hen who went broody 22 days ago and it's hatching eggs out and EATING them! I thought she was eating the eggs taht were no good but I think they were just fine now. I happened to be out in the hen house and heard chirping and realized there was an egg hatching out and she heard that and starting going all nuts on the egg and tried eating the chick. I grabbed it away from her and took it in the house. It doesn't look hurt at all. I think I got it in time. I looked out earlier today and thought the hens had a mouse but now I believe it was a chick
sad.png
I learned my lesson...DO NOT let broody hens sit in the hen house. She does not even TRY to protect them at all. But eats them herself. So now I'm hoping this baby makes it. I think I'm going to take the other eggs and set them in the bator. I feel terrible...poor things. The one I saved happened to be the one D'uccle left that didn't get ate.

awww!

Yeah, chickens are about as smart as mobile house plants. It was moving and making sound, just like a big bug! Boy she thought she found the mother load of snacks RIGHT IN HER NEST! yay!

lol.

Good luck with your chick! I bet he'll be fine!

I could not believe that! I thought hens were suppose to protect them
sad.png
I guess not THIS hen.

I put her/him and the other two remaining eggs in the incubator to see how they do. I hope it pulls thorugh. Doesn't look so good.

Last edited:
I think your right! I'm going to try the silkies next time. I hear they are pretty good mothers. I'm almost afraid to try again. I hope I at least get SOME chicks from this hatch. Not sure whats going to happen. I really wanted to see what the mixes would look like too. I have two mixes left to hatch and I hope they do.

I had a similar issue with grafting chicks. The mama readily accepted them but the sister picked one up and ran off with it like it was a mouse. I rescued it and have everyone separated and recovered. It is a scary sight. My husband heard my scream from inside the house.

Some hens make good moms and some hens don't. I've had a sexlink attack a hawk twice to save her one chick, and I've had a broody silkie smother all her hatchlings to death in the nest and not ever get up. Just don't let her set again.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
That is too funny! I needed a good laugh this morning.

Sorry to hear your momma is enjoying her little ones way too much. Heres hoping the others hatch out fine and your other one is ok!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom