So I just got a new chick

Chickadee Lady

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2018
New Jersey
I was asked to adopt a baby chick because the previous owner didn't want to raise it. I am new to keeping chickens and my existing flock are all laying hens (2 Barred Rocks, and 2 RI Reds). I got them when they were older than this newbie so I don't have baby chick raising experience. My girls began laying days after I got them...the last of the four just started laying about a week and a half ago. The newbie has all of it's feathers, but I have been keeping it in the garage in a pen. I plan to take the pen out to the yard over the weekend so that it can get used to the outdoors. I can't free range cause I am a suburban backyard keeper and besides; I don't trust that the neighbor's cat wont tackle my birds. I don't know exactly how old it is, nor do i know the breed (but i am guessing it is an orpington, buff colored, maybe??? I don't know), AND i am not even certain if it is male or female. The previous owner insists it is a female...but she had even less chicken raising experience then I do. The comb is barely noticeable. Anyway...I am wondering when I should introduce this newbie to the flock? I have one gal, Hazel, who is MEAN...she pecks at the others especially my Henrietta, the other Rock. Gertrude and Gretchen don't get bothered as much as Henrietta, but Hazel would pester them if she gets bored. Hazel has only finally begun to leave the others alone but I don't feel it is safe for the chick to be with her. I am certain the chick is going to outgrow the guinea pig cage that she has been living in soon enough...I don't have a second coop and am already in the process of planning an extension of my existing run cause I think it is small for the 4 gals I have let alone another one...I will definitely need to expand now for sure. My coop is probably big enough to hold 6 gals for sleeping at night and it has 3 nesting boxes...the run space like I said needs expanding. Just not sure what to do with the newbie...she (if it really is a she) will need a place to roam around and someplace to sleep at night pretty soon. Any suggestions for getting this chick settled in?

Hmm, the tough thing is one chick by itself is lonely, and integrating it is going to be harder than if you had two or more. If you're going to be expanding the coop and run anyway, would you considering getting additional chicks to grow up with this one? Though it might be hard finding chicks around the same age...

As far as age, breed, etc. you can post a photo of it and let folks take a crack at it.

Hmm, the tough thing is one chick by itself is lonely, and integrating it is going to be harder than if you had two or more. If you're going to be expanding the coop and run anyway, would you considering getting additional chicks to grow up with this one? Though it might be hard finding chicks around the same age...

As far as age, breed, etc. you can post a photo of it and let folks take a crack at it.

Here are a couple of photos. Hmmm...getting another chick??? I’m beginning to understand Chicken Math

Attachments

• A9733618-F30B-4211-8AC8-D65CBCAB1204.jpeg
    A9733618-F30B-4211-8AC8-D65CBCAB1204.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 9527D783-604F-477E-8C27-02F58FC5E782.jpeg
    9527D783-604F-477E-8C27-02F58FC5E782.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 12
I would guess it's close to 4 weeks old by the feathering. It's possibly a Buff Orpington. And I don't see any obvious red in the comb so it's possible it's female. A picture of the face with comb and wattles would help on guessing the sex.

Back
Top Bottom