So I might be getting a duck...

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
A dead one. I looked up recipes and it looks like I have to cook the dang thing like a turkey and flip it. Can I just cook it in a bag? Any recipes that you have that are not so...excessive? I've never cooked a duck before...:idunno

It's been a while, and I've only processed nine ducks total within the past four years, but:

Flipping the meat isn't that bad. It's not like turkey; you're not cooking it for six hours at a time, and it shouldn't weigh twenty-some pounds. Cook for an hour, flip, cook for an hour more (depending on size of duck) and you're done. I think I do it at 350 the first hour and up it to 375 the second hour, but I'm not covering the duck or anything. Check with thermometer to make sure it's done, obviously

I'm not sure what sort of bag you're talking about, but that sounds like a very bad idea. Anything that holds the oil in a duck is bad. Roasting on a rack lets the oil drip out, and is the only way I've ever done duck. I once got nearly a quart of oil out of two five-pound ducks. They weren't fat ducks.

I advise citrus flavoring (glaze or some sort of stuffing), as the meat is very dark. Orange juice/slices gives it a decent tang. I've never tried lemon. I once saw a recipe that wanted butter. I have no idea why you would add grease to grease.

It's been a while, and I've only processed nine ducks total within the past four years, but:

Flipping the meat isn't that bad. It's not like turkey; you're not cooking it for six hours at a time, and it shouldn't weigh twenty-some pounds. Cook for an hour, flip, cook for an hour more (depending on size of duck) and you're done. I think I do it at 350 the first hour and up it to 375 the second hour, but I'm not covering the duck or anything. Check with thermometer to make sure it's done, obviously

I'm not sure what sort of bag you're talking about, but that sounds like a very bad idea. Anything that holds the oil in a duck is bad. Roasting on a rack lets the oil drip out, and is the only way I've ever done duck. I once got nearly a quart of oil out of two five-pound ducks. They weren't fat ducks.

I advise citrus flavoring (glaze or some sort of stuffing), as the meat is very dark. Orange juice/slices gives it a decent tang. I've never tried lemon. I once saw a recipe that wanted butter. I have no idea why you would add grease to grease.

Agreed, especially using a rack. Ducks are very fatty "unless its a Muscovy" and the fat/oil needs to get away from the carcass.

I asked my father this weekend because he used to hunt and his neighbors were farmers. He said wild duck is less fatty than domestic. He also said that roasting it was the best option. I found a recipe that used a balsamic vinegar glaze that looked pretty good. The guy that is giving it to us in going to pluck, gut and vacuum seal them. I might just keep them in my freezer for a special occasion. Thanksgiving is coming up and we never get the opportunity to have a "just us" thanksgiving meal. Its usually a meal at both family houses with turkey. I'll probably cook one up so we can have a meal "just us". If I fall in love with it...we might have to consider getting ducks! The guy gifting them to us said his wife doesn't want to eat them. Either way it's free meat. What sort of this can I use the duck fat for after its done cooking? My big roasting pan has a rack so it should make it easy

What sort of this can I use the duck fat for after its done cooking? My big roasting pan has a rack so it should make it easy
We use it in German pancakes. Beans cooked in duck oil are good. Bread can be made with oil. Eggs can be fried in oil. Basically, if you use vegetable oil or butter in something, you can probably use duck fat. Though I probably wouldn't use it for anything sweet.

Rendered duck fat has endless uses, particularly in French cuisine there are a ton of recipes that use it. Use a meat thermometer and be sure NOT to overcook it, duck should be dark and a little bloody when done, like lamb
I'm always very wary when it comes to cooking things thoroughly. I have an instant read meat thermometer that can be placed in the bird while it cooks. What temp do you cook to? 165 F?

We use it in German pancakes. Beans cooked in duck oil are good. Bread can be made with oil. Eggs can be fried in oil. Basically, if you use vegetable oil or butter in something, you can probably use duck fat. Though I probably wouldn't use it for anything sweet.
Wow...I never knew this! How do you store it?

170 f is recommended for most poultry, but most chefs rarely go past 135-140 f for duck or geese, any more and they’ll be tough because though the skin is fatty the meat has little fat inside, and you don’t want to cook out those yummy juices.
I guess it comes down to trusting the person who handled the meat; when I cook my chickens or wild game, I’m not afraid to go rare - I know the pieces were well handled, and were frozen the day the animal died :)
Just food for thought!

Back
Top Bottom