So I thought it was bumblefoot

Coloradosuzie

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
I have a hen that started limping a few days ago. I checked her leg and couldn't feel any abnormalities and she didn't seem to mind me checking it, so I confined her in a kennel thinking she had strained something. So I came on here today and decided it could be bumblefoot. I looked at her foot, which she protested and made some distressful sounds. I thought there was maybe a bit of redness in the webbing. I soaked it in epsom salts and then examined it and couldn't find a scab or anything else indicating any kind of puncture injury. I sprayed on some MannaPro wound care, wrapped it in gauze and then vet wrap. So any other ideas of what it could be?

Here are the pics of the right foot (none from the top as no apparent abnormalities). I think the "crease" in her foot is where I picked at it last night with forceps (never bled) before deciding maybe it's not a scab but more of a callous. She has the same sort of thing on her other foot. I soaked, applied wound care solution and re-wrapped. Should I continue to do twice daily soaks for another couple of days?Any help is much appreciated.
IMG_2103.jpg
IMG_2101.jpg
IMG_2105.jpg
IMG_2108.jpg

Will all bumbles scab up? How many days should I continue the soak? I manipulated it a bit and couldn't feel any nodule. I can't see any core to remove at this time, but will keep an eye out for it when I soak it and do dressing changes. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom