So... I want to eat my geese--is there a sticky or link for processing

Quote:
Well! That was great! I don't mind the graphic at all so thank you! I process my own chickens and now am wondering if I have done it wrong lately.

With them I completly take the head off with one swipe of a sharp knife. I will make sure to only slit the sides of the geese. Where is a good place to purchase a road cone?

How are your eggs coming James? Ohhhhh I am so wanting pics of the chicks as they grow. You must be close to lockdown...?

Rare Feather Farms....Thank you too! I ordered Sebbies but they didn't have a good hatch and it was just getting to late in the year for me to worry about raising them. Maybe next year.
Are you loving your Light Sussex? Ohhhh I love mine. My girls are quiet and gentle. My Roo however is getting a little snotty after being with his woman so he is in roo jail right now.
I have Sussex everywhere. I processed an extra roo and he had a very nice large cavity. Weighed out at 4.5 pounds dressed. Not bad.

I have given up on having a garden for awhile. First I have to section of property for the geese and then downsize on the peacocks. I thought the geese were bad at eating all my flowers but the peacocks chow down everything.

I really appreciate all the help and advice from you all. Good people!!!!

The eggs are going along great, lock down is the 24th I believe. All but 3 or 4 eggs are still going strong. 1 was infertile and the rest were early deaths. You can get a road cone at Lowes, Home Depot, TSC sometimes, any place that deals with public safety professions, etc. Some would say, on the side of the road, depending on your ethics
smile.png

rusty- I did several geese last year and would be happy to discuss it with you via PM's or (even better) email, as I had a post removed before that I posted in the goose forum regarding butchering. I do stun, and I have used two methods to do so. It's also a good time to practice sexing waterfowl if you think you might ever have a call for it.

Quote:
Shooting from the hip.. 3-4lbs. I buy peppered bacon 5LBs at a time, so "most of a pack". Mind you I live in SoCal and animal skin isn't eaten much out here (no one eats the skin off the thanksgiving turkeys either).

Also, to James- not every sebastopol is worth $$$... think of lesser quality ganders. There are two things they are wonderful for (excess ganders) down, feathers (work great for bridal hairpieces), and meat.

Also, I am no master plucker, but I can pluck a goose in under 15 minutes. I use the same scalding temp as for chickens. Here is the trick- use a liberal amount of dishwashing detergent. This acts as a surfactant and allows the water to penetrate past the well-oiled and hence waterproofed feathers down to the down.

One additional precaution- don't butcher while they are in pinfeather.

The only annoyance with plucking a goose is the down will stick to my wet hands and forearms, leaving me looking like I've been tarred and feathered. Also, remember to remove up to the joint on the wing or you end up with a carcass that looks like a praying mantis (I speak from personal, albeit delicious, experience).

I have eaten toulouse and buff americans. Yummy. The leftovers made GREAT pot pies.

Thank you all. I was out all of yesterday so I just sat down to read. It snowed here yesterday! I can't believe May 22nd and it snowed. Now a mucky mess.

GooseDragon: Mmmmm the American Buff sounded like a delicious meal! Thank you for explaining why I can't find the book. I have looked all over. I will check out that site. It would be fun to have an autographed copy. I too save all the extras from the chickens to make soup or stock. I have some waiting in the fridge and I want to see how it is for Miso soup.

Yes, I love the spy cam. For some reason it seems to have frightened the coyotes away for the time being. I think the red infra red spooks them because I could see one coyote and three pairs of eyes in the background all staring at the cam from the last setup and they haven't been back since. I know they will be back as soon as I forget and let my guard down.
That would be heart wrenching to watch my geese, even the nasty one, fight to the death with a coyote pack. Horrible.

Jamesrm: I am keeping all fingers crossed and good hatching vibes coming your way. Wow how time flies!

Ultasol: I am having a visual of you all feathered up with goose down! It is annoying but comical when I am plucking and I always manage to get one that wants to sit right under my nose! I can't wipe it off without add a few more in its place. So you blow...and blow

I will be pm'ing you, thanks for the offer!

Back
Top Bottom