So... I want to make a Crock Pot Incubator...

24 hours!

Humidity is holding steady around 50ish. The temperature on that humidity gauge is way off...

Surface temperature is cuttently 37.4 - 37.7C on the exposed side and 80C on the underside.

I’m not sure whether the interior temperature is hot enough at this point, but i also do want to risk overheating the eggs. I’ll candle on day four to see if anything alive...

EB3B37EF-DE83-459E-86B9-97A26FBCFCC0.jpeg

Took them out to cool this morning, but the question is... is it necessary?

you can see the patch on egg D ,_,
F7702885-FB01-4DAE-A06E-D4A2341A6241.jpeg

Because my brain keeps telling me I have the temperature settings all wrong, and everything will end up i disaster, I ended up read a few interesting pages about egg shell temperature yesterday.

Someone please explain to my dumb brain why the incubation temperature was lowered from 100.5 to 98 over 18 days...

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/why-incubator-temperature-differs-from-egg-shell-temperature

AE384931-A6C9-49A9-9C57-D24C8BF48543.jpeg

Took them out to cool this morning, but the question is... is it necessary?
I would not have done the cooling. I think you were OK on temps.
why the incubation temperature was lowered from 100.5 to 98 over 18 days...
Different peeps have different ideas. (I assume that chart if from someones post)
Remember that chickens in nature do not have electronic thermometers. The daily changes in ambient temperature swing widely,,,,, depending on time of year. Yet they successfully hatch chicks.
Just keep trying your best,,,,,, since you are experimenting :thumbsup
The 2.5°F temperature swing is in SAFE RANGE in my opinion.

I see what looks like day 4 veining on egg H. These eggs were laid during a heat wave, this one was probably collected late and started incubating... either that or the rest are dead 😬
F9BCC742-682E-444C-8EEB-A29CE90E2D73.jpeg
Egg C looks to have quit, when i candled prior to setting, there was a small dark dot floating around. Now I see it has become bigger with other isolated red spots appearing. along with the hint of what looks like a blood ring.
E2D82CD6-42B8-4FF0-8C9D-896610668A54.jpeg

I would not have done the cooling. I think you were OK on temps.

Different peeps have different ideas. (I assume that chart if from someones post)
Remember that chickens in nature do not have electronic thermometers. The daily changes in ambient temperature swing widely,,,,, depending on time of year. Yet they successfully hatch chicks.
Just keep trying your best,,,,,, since you are experimenting :thumbsup
The 2.5°F temperature swing is in SAFE RANGE in my opinion.
I thought the cooling was common practice to imitate the broody when she gets of her eggs for food. I also read that might not do much, haha...

the chart is from the link on egg shell temperature throughout incubation. it apparently shows the incubation temperature of commercial incubation.... so it made me wonder about the 2.5F controlled drop.

I thought the cooling was common practice to imitate the broody when she gets of her eggs for food. I also read that might not do much, haha...

the chart is from the link on egg shell temperature throughout incubation. it apparently shows the incubation temperature of commercial incubation.... so it made me wonder about the 2.5F controlled drop.
THIS IS SO FRICKING COOL. I'm just worried about how a crock pot is not going to overheat and shut off in 3 weeks

Back
Top Bottom