So, I wanted an automatic Coop door .....

What is the make / model of your actuator? I've looked at hundreds. Did you get it on Amazon? I want easy peasy or I will over engineer the daylights out of it.

I'd have to check on the make and model. I got it on Amazon. I'm sure the lowest duty would work. Compared to the commercial ones with string and a spool, it's much better. The ability to open and close the door from anywhere is a great option . And for less than half the price of what's out there, it's a no brainier. I'm sure almost any actuator would work, a wooden slide door doesn't weigh much.. no need to over engineer it, there really isn't much to it. Two 12v power supplies, 2 automotive relays, a Wyze smart plug and an actuator. I just couldn't believe that there isn't something like this out there.

A tutorial would be awesome! This one looks MUCH easier than the one I found... and I like the idea of using my phone to open and close.

Heres the one I found....
http://blog.netscraps.com/diy/heavy-duty-solar-powered-automatic-chicken-coop-door.html
I don't know that I would need a battery backup, but I guess its a good thing to have. This one was also solar... mine is getting a plug in. My BIG reason for one is when I go back to school in the fall, I leave WAY before daylight. I want them to still be able to access the run, AND my door is BIG... like 18"x18" big, and swings in and up. WHEW!

Hello all,
As stated in the title, I wanted an automatic Coop door for my chickens. Yes I do love interacting with them daily, but they are free range and as you know, things come up in life which sometimes prevent me from being home at dusk. Then it's always a rush to get home to ensure they are safe and locked up for the night. Also, sometimes it's raining and I just don't feel like going out to shut the door. Going on vacation is another reason So my search began...... Now I know I'm a little frugal, but $200 for a chicken door still seems expensive. Also, I wanted remote access to the door, being able to open and shut it from my phone/computer from anywhere.. as well as a timer option. I thought being that we are in the times of rapid tech advances, someone should have already addressed this need. But I could not find any, and if I did, it would most likely cost over the $200 price tag of those timer only models.
I began my supermarket engineering. Using existing parts to construct exactly what I wanted. And after a week of testing, I can announce success! I was able to construct a simple circuit controlled by an inexpensive automated switch for a total cost of $75. This could be as low $50 as my trial and error will develop the most cost-effective means.
I am posting this to see if there is any interest in this idea. If there is, I would be happy to post a tutorial via YouTube as well as providing the circuit for those who are intimidated by the wiring.
So, send me an email, or respond to this post, whatever. Let me know if there is a interest in this idea.
This is what I’ve been looking for—I’d utilize and appreciate any instructions, pictures, or any type of video of this setup! Thanks for thinking of us on this platform!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom