So, if a Roo does his thing today..........?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by giasmom, Apr 9, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    So, if a Roo does his thing today, will the hens eggs be fertile tomorrow ? I've never had a roo. So ?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think it takes two or three days for the eggs to be fertile, from what I have read on here.

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    They can be fertile, but that isn't usually the case. More often than not the hen doesn't trust the roo enough to fully submit or he just doesn't have the skills yet. I give at least a week before I collect.

4. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Depends on the roo also - I have a GLP roo, a teenager, and he is new to my flock of year olds... He "does his thing" but isn't quite making the proper contact yet. Cochins are just too much hen for him! [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In answer to your question, if the rooster is successful, maybe two but probably three days. You can crack the eggs and check to see if they are fertile. This might help with that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

In answer to a question you did not ask, the eggs will probably be fertile for two weeks. Could be a little less and could be more. I've seen posts where eggs were still fertile after 3-1/2 weeks, but this is an exception and certainly not to be counted on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by