So, If You Scare a Turkey Hen Off Her Nest...

Olive Hill

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
...what are the chances she'll go back to it?

I have a Narr hen that's been disappearing a lot. I'd suspected she'd probably started a next somewhere but finally went hunting today. I found her and when I walked up to her she jumped up, there were 10-12 eggs under her. She ran back over to the feeders and waterers and now seems to be zigzagging her way back to the nest... what are the chances she'll go back to them? My 'bator is full of chicken eggs not set to hatch until Thursday. And besides that I'd really prefer if she hatch and raise them. With winter coming they'd have a MUCH better chance of survival with mama taking care of them. So how long should I give her to make it back to the nest before I steal the eggs and MAKE room in the 'bator?
hmm.png

Well, she seems to be headed back to the nest. Now to figure out what to do about the safety issue.

I'm thinking a portable hardware wire "pen" just big enough to set overtop of her and weight down at night... thoughts?

I have an 8'x8' pen that we could, theoretically move overtop of her, but it's heavy and it may be difficult to get in place. Oy! She better hatch every last one of those eggs for this stress she's causing me.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom