So, I'm new at this and would like some help. Please!!!!

Luckyducky88

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
This is my first time owning any animal other then a dog and a parakeet. I bought 2 ducklings from my local hardware store 2 weeks ago. And everything has gone great with them since. Well, I bought 2 more yesterday from tractor supply. They were even younger the the first 2 I bought. I have them kept separate from the first 2 but the containers are right next to each other. Well, today we've had some pretty good thunderstorms and I noticed that one of the older ducks has been breathing through its mouth. Not constantly but it does it weather it's laying down or standing up. I've dipped it's beak in water to make sure it was drinking and that it's nose was clean. They've been eating and drinking. But they stay solely against the side of the cage that is against the babies cage. The other duck that's with it did it for a few minutes but nowhere near as long as the other one. So, I'm open to any advise or suggestions. Please help. I'm worried about my babies.

There are so many things that could be going on, do you have a heat lamp in with the chicks?
What little you have said kind of indicates they are too hot and trying to get away from the heat thus breathing out their bills.

have you visited the "Learning Center" tab above, read on raising baby chicks and care of them. that is not the exact titles but what you need to keep in mind.

After re-reading this, it sounds kind of normal for chicks. if there is a thin wall between them then they may be hearing each other and pressing against the wall as to be together like most chicks will do. They could be doing it to try to be together or too hot as I sated eariler.

Like I said it could be lots of things be more specific and give details. I raise quail, but chicks in general tend to act the same.

The older ones currently don't have a heat lamp on them. They're quite big. I don't know how old they are. But the store I bought them from had them for over a week or 2. And they were already a decent size when they got them. They're already getting their feathers in. But these are ducks so I don't know if there's a difference. Lol. But I keep checking them. They don't seem to be hot. Nor shivering to indicate that they are cold. Besides I have them in an extra large dog crate until I'm certain old enough to go outside. So if they were hot they have plenty of room to move around

I have no clue.
this was taken almost 2 weeks ago.
this is from yesterday. I have no clue. But they haven't done it at all today. But the storms are over. So, I'm kinda hoping it was that.

here's better pictures of them. I don't even know exactly how old they are. But I've had them almost 3 weeks.

I know the store I bought them from had them for a week. I've had them for almost 3 weeks. So they're at least 4 weeks. Lol

Back
Top Bottom