So is this the dreaded Chicken Math I've been warned about?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    <Sigh> It must be....I'm trying to figure out how I have only 15 chicks and still have 200 butts to wash! Poor babies are starting to run as far from me as they can when they see me coming. I swear this last time one of the Easter Eggers pointed at a tiny little Wynandotte saying "Pick her, pick her!!"
    Been looking around for information on here about "Pasty Butt" and must confess that now I'm more confused than enlightened. So many different ideas on causes and prevention, although the initial treatment seems to be consistent. So I'm forever washing butts, but tonight I added dabbing a bit of olive oil on their little hineys and mixing some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water for a bit. We'll see how that goes.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have raised a lot of chicks, and some batches of chicks need washing more than others. Sounds like you have one of the "wash more" batches!

3. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    Those are good ideas. I've also heard of several people using Vaseline. Vaseline might have more staying power on their butts. Just an idea if the o.o. doesn't work out. I hope they're doing better today!

4. farmkids

farmkids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    Haha! I bet she did point at the other chick, hahaha! Good luck keeping the little rascals clean.

5. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Am I supposed to be washing butts?

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Only if you see "Pasty Butt" on the chicks. It's where feces blocks the vents and they can't poop because of it. Kinda like the "finger in the dike' concept - except when real dike breaks what comes out is water. Not exactly what you get when you break a pasty butt blockage. LOL Just a cotton ball soaked in warm water and some gentle washing will get it off. If you don't get it off, they can die because they can't go. Lots of information on here about "Pasty Butt", but as I said I found myself a little confused so I just picked advice that would best fit my situation and whatever supplies I had in the house. I'm NOT going 100 miles up to Billings (the nearest Tractor Supply Store) in a blizzard if apple cider vinegar, olive oil/vaseline and a little behind washing will take care of it. Teehee

1 person likes this.
  7. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    When I started seeing the mudd butt thing happening, I started giving my peeps plain yogurt every morning till I saw it clear up and now I give it to them 1-2 times a week for prevention. Seems to be working for me and didn't cost me a bunch of money.

8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I give them cracked corn and ground oatmeal, clears up within a day or so and I haven't had anymore problems..

9. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Probiotics like in yogurt will help (use the plain if possible rather that the sugar sweetened fruit ones). Also, Vaseline is preferable to olive oil as the oil will go rancid and could cause them to peck at one another. I had 25 pasty butts and the yogurt helped more than any other thing.

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Great idea! And I have some of that because my 2 year old granddaughter loves it with little veggies chopped into it. So mix it with their starter, or just put it in a shallow bowl at room temp?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by