So.. it's me again

wendigo

Chirping
6 Years
May 8, 2013
It's been a calm month, but things were going too well and of course something had to happen. This morning when I opened their coop (roughly 30 mins ago), one of the chickens was making a gargling noise when breathing and when trying to make sounds. She doesn't move too much, but when I try to pick her up she still runs away. She didn't eat or drink, at least not while I was there. I noticed some sort of discharge around her nostrils. It's clear and kinda sticky, but this might be because it started drying. The poop inside the coop looks normal. Pretty cold outside too, around freezing temperature for the past 2 weeks. Today I will install a heat source.

This is one of the oldest, 8, almost 9 months old. I'll give her antibiotics today. What can it be and what do you suggest?

It may be the beginnings of a respiratory diseaes. Respiratory diseases are especially prevalent in the wintertime. If she's the only bird showing symptoms, you may want to isolate her to lessen the chances of it spreading to the other chickens (though they probably have already been exposed to it). Give her some electrolytes and make sure that she's eating and drinking. Antibiotics should help; Tylan50 would be the best one to get, but Duramycin and Terramycin would likely work too.

There are many respiratory diseases that chickens can get. Infectious Bronchitis is one of the most common. It is usually mild, spreads quickly, and causes some sneezing and discharge. Chronic Respiratory Disease is almost just a common, and more often causes swelling of the face. CRD spreads slowly through a flock. Infectious Coryza is one of the more serious respiratory diseases. It causes a foul smell, discharge, and a swollen face. Infectious Laryngotracheitis is yet another respiratory disease that is very serious. It causes sneezing, coughing, gurgling, and sometimes bloody discharge.

Keep in mind that respiratory diseases can't be "cured". Birds that recover will be carriers, and may show symptoms again in times of stress.

Last edited:
She's better now. No more gargling sounds. She eats and drinks normally and got her proud chicken posture again.

Back
Top Bottom