So i've decided to build a coop

Haha...well, no doubt what that little building is for!!

As a longtime design drafter, any drawing not drawn true size and shape with accurate dimensions...is, er, well, just a bunch of lines. It worked for you, but won't work might not work fro anyone else.

Haha...well, no doubt what that little building is for!!

As a longtime design drafter, any drawing not drawn true size and shape with accurate dimensions...is, er, well, just a bunch of lines. It worked for you, but won't work might not work fro anyone else.
No no no, don't get me wrong. Each drawing was down the the 1/8th of an inch. I just meant that you just have to be on the app to see it. The design process is my favorite part as i am very meticulous and love to test things out on paper before building them.

My undergrad degree is in architecture, so i definitely know the value of a solid plan and drawings.

Oh good, well then the grid should remain proportional...figure out the value of squares for screen shot or jpg or what ever you posted.
Just looking at the picture, i know the nesting box has a length of exactly 3 ft, so at this resolution (about 12%), it looks like 7 squares is 3 ft....so 2-1/3 squares is a foot. At 100%, more squares inside the squares show up and every square is one half inch. When i want a quarter inch, i blow it up to 200%. An eighth of an inch, 400%. And so on....

At 100%, the app looks like this. 3/4" ply over 2x6s, etc...

Wow! The finished coop looks amazing!!
thumbsup.gif
Excellent work.

Just a few minor updates. Not sure if this would be considered coop updates or run updates, so i posted in both (hope that's okay).

So inside the coop i added about 4 inches of sand. I am pretty sure the chickens will appreciate the time and effort i put into leveling it and creating a feng shui environment for them.

I also added the ramp to the the outside of the coop. Since i changed the location and direction of my run (from my original plans), i didn't like how close the ramp would be to the run door, so i made them a "porch" of sorts, and moved the ramp further inside the run.

I also wanted to be able to clean and rake the run without hitting the ramp, so i added hinges to it. Folds up neatly.

I decided i didn't want to haul feed, PDZ, tools, etc... from the house to the coop whenever i needed to refill or replace something, so i built a "matching" storage container out by the coop. The galvanized water tank we are using as a brooder will fit inside it. Inside of that will be containers for the feed and whatnot, plus room for some odds and ends.

I think once i get trim on the coop and on the storage box, it will look nice. I think my wife is planning to put a word on it as well (similar to the "EGGS" she put on the side of the coop). I'll put rocks around the base like the coop. Awesome...more rocks. Ugh.

Thanks!

I am starting to discover that i may have addiction and adding to the coop may never end.

Today i did the rocks around the storage container and also added a mini-ramp leading to the roost for our "runt" chicken, coincidentally named "Minnie".

Back
Top Bottom