So i've decided to build a coop

So i may have played hookie today from work. Im running out of weekends before the chickens get here, so i have to get this thing done. Another productive day i think.

First i went ahead and added a flip top to my nesting boxes as well as keeping the flip down side. We'll use the top to get eggs and the bottom to clean. Just makes sense. I'll figure out a way to keep water out as i go along. The piano hinge should help (thanks for the tips!)
By the way, my wife has decided that there will be curtains. Oh yes, there will be curtains.

Then i worked on the door. I will be using SmartSide siding on my coup, so i went ahead and covered the door. **** this thing is heavy.

Then i started to put it into the door frame. Again, the plan is to have the walls assembled and then this frame will be pushed into the space made for it in the framing, then shimmed level. It's hard to see here, but i added trim to the sides of the door frame so that when put in place, it will cover any gaps/shims, etc... Unfortunately i don't count to good and was one board shy, so the to trim isn't done yet.

Here is the door in the wall frame. Everything looks pretty good. I did however, fail to account for what the weight of the door would do when vertical. The lower corner furthest from the hinges drooped down a bit and rubs a tiny bit. I'll need to make an adjustment or sand the bottom of the door. Perhaps even get bigger hinges. We'll see. But it looks great!

The big barn window fit into it's casing as well, but i am still waiting on the glazing to harden before doing that one. That's my Beagle. Yep, a Beagle and chickens....what the hell am i thinking?

Next i started on the roof rafters/framing. The best part of making this in pieces and assembling later, i don't have to calculate the birdsmouth cuts for the rafters. I just laid the frame on the ground, traced the framing, and made the cuts. They fit great!

Finally i cut and laid out my roof framing. I havent put it together yet. Im getting tight on space in the garage.

Next up is securing the roof framing together, ground prep, and some linoleum work.

Last edited:
I did my coop in a similar fashion. I built the sides and had them ready to go so that once the base was in place it would not take as long to put it up. It does get extremely heavy. Have some help when you go to raise the sides!

Nice progress on the coop. It will be really great when done I am sure.

I think im.....done? Done building. Only the ground prep, assembly and putting the siding on. Wow.
So today i decided to make that giant door lighter by replacing the 2x4s with 1x4s. Works much better now. I also finished the trim by adding the top piece.

I also added a door-stop on the inside of the door. Basically i made a 3/4" trim piece to go all the way around the inside at the point that keeps the door flush with the frame. Not a great pic, but you get the idea (hopefully).

I also went ahead and did the trim for the window frame. I really wish that glazing would harden up already so i can install the **** thing. Anyway, i also cut the window stops just like the door. I cant install them until the window is in and i can measure where the flush-point will be.

Then i went ahead and measured and cut the linoleum for the base. I will be folding this up the sides, so i cut out the corners where the 2x4s corners will the be.

The last, and biggest thing i tackled today was framing the roof for reals this time.

I also cut the thinner ply to fit on the roof. I wont attach it until the roof is on of course (too heavy).

Tomorrow i'll do some landscaping/leveling to prep the site in the backyard. Hopefully that wont be too tough.

You really are making tremendous progress! I may need to pm you when I go to put my greenhouse together and have you give me tips on glazing windows. I am really interested in seeing the build come together! Good work!

You really are making tremendous progress! I may need to pm you when I go to put my greenhouse together and have you give me tips on glazing windows. I am really interested in seeing the build come together! Good work!
Thank you!

I'll be honest, my glazing job wasn't all that excellent. I figured it's an old barn window, so not looking perfect, is part of the charm. ;-) That said, i'll be happy to pass along any glazing tips i did come up with.

Next weekend i'll do the footers in the yard. Then the weekend after that is Spring Break, so we'll be traveling. The following week we'll get the chickens, so i'll have to get the coop out of the garage and into the yard to make room for the brooder. Very excited to get it assembled.

I am in for a lot of work doing my greenhouse I fear. I am using old glass shower doors and will have to build frames and glaze them so that should be fun.
th.gif

I do really like how you have kept up with documenting the progress on your coop build. Time sure travels fast when chickens are on the way doesn't it?

Looking forward to more updates!

Back
Top Bottom