So just how big is your flock?

I buy 1000lbs a month. I also have goats and a beef steer along with all the chickens and ducks.

I made a batch of fermented feed tonight for my 6 week old chicks. I hope it turns out. I followed your instructions Rachel's Flock. I use 10 lbs of chick starter a day, so I went with the 10 lbs, 3 1/2 gallons of water and 3/4 ACV with "mother". Hope this was right.....and hope the chicks like it. :)
By morning it should be bubbly and smelling vaguely of beer or pickles.
You are going to be so psyched by the results! They grow faster than weeds and are so healthy. Whether you eat 'em or get eggs from 'em the results are amazing!
Will you be feeding in a trough or on the ground?
It should be noted that the fermented feed should always be made in plastic containers. I'm sorry I forgot to say that, but I did stress reading the FF thread first! The acid in the FF will corrode the metal and leech yuck into the feed if you use metal.
Make sure you stir a couple of times a day and try not to fill the container all the way to the top, as the feed swells.
Tomorrow, just scoop out what you need (the consistence should be akin to oatmeal or mortar.) If you didn't use too much water, there should be no need to strain it.
Best of luck, weaversfarm!
Can't wait to hear your results! Keep us posted!

At the beginning of this year I had 60+ chickens, I was going through about 150lbs of feed every 2-3 weeks (and most of my birds were LF Cochins, they ate a ton a didn't lay very consistantly- holy feed bill Batman)! I've downsized CONSIDERABLY, I now have 5 Silkies and an OEGB, and my feed bill is next to nothing now. Thank goodness!!!
Wow! You have downsized!

I have a mixed flock of chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and pea fowl. I buy almost 1 ton of feed every month for all of my animals.

I feed all purpose poultry and waterfowl feed- which could serve for all those birds.
Anyone who uses that much feed could definitely benefit from the savings of FF!!!

I use the same. It's an all purpose feed. I'm so happy that they make and sell that type of feed. If not, I would be in trouble. :gig

I buy 1000lbs a month.  I also have goats and a beef steer along with all the chickens and ducks. 

I made a batch of fermented feed tonight for my 6 week old chicks.  I hope it turns out.  I followed your instructions Rachel's Flock.  I use 10 lbs of chick starter a day, so I went with the 10 lbs, 3 1/2 gallons of water and 3/4 ACV with "mother".  Hope this was right.....and hope the chicks like it. :)

I have a goat and sheep and that's why I have to buy so much feed like yourself. I wish I had beef steer but I know that is WAY in the future, like 5 years or so. You're lucky to have your own beef steer. :thumbsup

I hope that your fermented feed turns out ok. I'm scared to try fermented feed. :oops:

I have 24 standard laying hens. They go through 50pounds of pellets in about 9 days. A 50pound bag of scratch lasts about a month. I buy all my Heims feed direct from the mill and save a few bucks. My girls sell enough eggs to pay for their own food though. I sell them for $3 a dozen to coworkers who just love them.

I use the same. It's an all purpose feed. I'm so happy that they make and sell that type of feed. If not, I would be in trouble.
gig.gif
I love it!
It is balanced and complete (once fermented) and can be fed to my peeps when my broody hatches. No mucking about with different feed or separation, just feed and forget it!
I give free choice oyster shells for the layers.

Back
Top Bottom