So just how must dust DO baby chicks create?

Nonny

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
We have three day olds arriving soon and to keep them safe from our cat my plan was to have them in part of our sunroom, which has a wood floor, no soft furnishings, plenty of windows and screens for temperature control, and a lockable glass sliding door between that room and our lounge, so we could keep an eye on them easily. I also have baby gates set up to partition off a bit of the room so the kids can't get to them without adult supervision.

BUT.... that's also my kids play area.

I hear a lot about all the dust chicks create, but I'll only have three. Are three chicks going to create that much dust? Do I need to move all the play stuff out of there while the chicks are in the brooder?

Last edited:
A-lot. I had 6 chicks in a tupperware container in the bathroom, and my bathroom was filthy I had to clean all surface including the walls. FYI I cleaned the container daily, so I can only imagine what it would have looked like if I did not.

TONS AND TONS!! We had our brooder in our storage room off the garage. The storage room that has all the Christmas decorations stored. Everything is filthy.. ugh!!

ONLY
Tornado.gif

They do make A LOT of dust, but generally not too much until they start getting their feathers in.

Three shouldn't be too bad at all, I would just make sure you keep them very clean and if need be (make sure it's not too hot) put a thin towel (or sheet) over the top of the brooder, this will help keep the dust inside.

LOL! OK, so from those replies I guess I will be moving the kids out of that room for the duration. We keep it bare of carpets and furniture for a reason - before we had our roof fixed the room would flood every time we had a downpour, so it's well suited to being hosed out if need be, and open out onto the porch and garden.
smile.png

I guess I could also move them to the coop sooner as well, seeing as it will be Summer and very warm outdoors in the evenings.

Last edited:
I'm on my second batch of 3 chicks and can honestly say I've never noticed extra dust.
idunno.gif

Maybe its what I keep my lot on or in, but I had my first lot indoors til 6 weeks old and my second lot are 4 weeks coming up to 5 weeks old now and still no extra dust.

102391_pics_4711.jpg

102391_pics_4772.jpg

This is my first stage brooder, the first few days I have a base of sand with paper towel on top, then a base of sand with pine shavings on top. Soon they'll go in the bigger one which is a clear plastic rodent cage again with mesh on top. Then they'll have a base of grit instead of sand with pine shavings on top.
(sorry about the pic of rats but this is just what I use as my second stage and don't have a pic of the whole of it with chicks in) Lol.
jumpy.gif

102391_pics_4622.jpg

I guess everyone is different, I think it depends on their bedding. I almost drowned my 3 day old baby chicks by accident, they were outside in a tupperware in the aviary, somehow it started to rain so hard it got into the aviary and the tupperware....brooder.
So I took them inside and dryed them off, and kept them in our bathtub, for 3 weeks on towels. under the light.
They are so huge now and I didn't notice tons of dust, but I changed the towels everyday.

It really depends on the brooder and what type of bedding you are using. I have used a terrarium with screened lid using wood chips which was pretty low dust, any open container with wood shavings will be awfully dusty! I now use straw which I can use in any brooder with no dust, also the chicks don't kick nearly as much into their food and water. So that my suggestion
smile.png

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Here is the brooder package I'm getting. It seems to have a lid as well as doors at the front, so I guess it'll be slightly less dusty than a completely open one?

91980_brooder2.jpg

91980_brooder.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom