SO MAD!

Coryza is transmitted through direct contact, airborne droplets and contamination of drinking water. *I* wouldn't feel great about bringing in new birds with their infected flock being just 200ft away from yours. The typical remedy is an all in, all out cull. Since they've kept their infected birds, and added new chicks, they're building a flock of birds that are unhealthy and carriers of a chronic disease. You can vaccinate for coryza.

Their chicken friend is correct, coryza is a respiratory illness, an acute respiratory illness. You might explain to your neighbors that chickens do not get colds though, they get chronic respiratory diseases that they carry for life. And, as carriers, they can transmit that illness to other birds even while appearing healthy themselves. And, of course, they can relapse back into illness with any little stress and their nightmare will start all over again. No matter how many new chicks they buy to replace the ones that succumb.

If they were my neighbors, I'd go onto Google, print out an overview on infectious coryza (and respiratory illnesses in chickens in general) and present that information to them (and maybe they'll show it to their chicken friend and everyone can educate themselves a little).

I'm so sorry, this is a horrible situation to be dealing with. Especially when the (most likely) responsible party doesn't want to :hugs

Done and done and done again. They don't seem to get it. ... I'll just have to wait it out. ..
And start over next year.
Minus $200 a month income, and buyin eggs and chicken from the store. Yuck.

Last edited:
Can you call your county Ag. extension office and see if they can give you some concrete information re: the risk to any new flock you might have under these circumstances? I'm so sorry. this is a horrid thing to have to deal with, especially with neighbors so close.

I've been so blessed, NOT having close neighbors like that! Talk to your state veterinarian, and Ag Extension, about any recourse you may have to improve this situation, and all the best. So sorry! Mary

Can you call your county Ag. extension office and see if they can give you some concrete information re: the risk to any new flock you might have under these circumstances? I'm so sorry. this is a horrid thing to have to deal with, especially with neighbors so close.

I've been so blessed, NOT having close neighbors like that! Talk to your state veterinarian, and Ag Extension, about any recourse you may have to improve this situation, and all the best. So sorry! Mary
Good ideas from LG and Mary.

I would also look into testing or necropsy of your bird(s) to find out exactly what disease you are dealing with.

Update, All their birds died, and so did mine, eventually.
I waited over a year to get birds again.
I dove bank into it full on, but then was overworked and decided to cut back, as described in my latest post.

Back
Top Bottom